BLM ?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

BLM ?

Post by AK »

Do you still come on here?

Caught a few of your tracks, I'm particularly liking 'Down Down' with Pawas! Was wondering what you used for the EP chord sound, I'm using Lounge Lizard but I'm not liking it that much as I always need hefty amounts of EQ. I'm looking for something to replace it, I hear some tracks with EP sounds I like but I'm not sure what's decent in software. And what's the bass sound off lol. :)
jswe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: BLM ?

Post by jswe »

Down With The Shake is rocking my world right now.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

He is using a tanzbar for the beats lately, right?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Hi guys,

I’m still around yes. I didn't see this post but someone emailed it me so here goes.

Regarding 'Down Down' it’s all samples. I'm looking at the file now and it’s a very basic setup with some filter and eq on most things. There is nothing to really learn unfortunately as I didn’t know what I was doing with those tools so you have some pretty bizarre eq curves. The samples all come from generic sample packs like those Loopmasters packs that people were using around that time. Pawas also played a big part in making this track so must give him some props as well as he is really great at putting things together. I dont have the samples anymore but I still have the ableton file which i can upload if you want to take a peak?

Blitz - yes you are right I have been using the Tanzbar for the last year but I have only released one track with it so far which was called 'Paris Beatdown'. However I have 2 releases coming in September which use the Tanzbar for the drums exclusively. its a great little machine that has a really nice sweet spot which when I find I can make some really nice beats with.

‘Down With The Shake’ was done with a 909 and a juno 106. I recorded a bunch of audio then re-sampled everything with the Simpler in Ableton 8.

If you have been following my work from say 2012 it’s pretty much now outboard that’s been recorded and resampled. There are these Max sequencers that I use to control all my hardware so I just record everything I do then go back and cut it all up.

The sequencer is this - http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=75
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Ahhh, cool. :) Hey, I'd like to see that Ableton file if poss, always nice to hear certain sounds you like in isolation. I really like that track, gonna check out the new one jswe mentioned, is it on Soundcloud?

But about the EP stuff, yeah, like some stuff I hear of Leif's has nice EP sounds, I think there's one where you collab'd right? Nice warm EP sounds that I'm struggling with at the minute, maybe it's just Lounge Lizard, it's too easy to get that nasty, grumbling bark sound and low mid rumble and resonance but not so easy to get a smooth warm sound :(

Look forward to hearing the new stuff.
jswe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jswe »

Nice!! Thanks BLM, some cool insight. Pretty please upload the ableton file :)
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

i use lounge lizard, I do find that I more often than not, turn off the internal verb and use a stand alone unit. I also create 2 or 3 channels of the same pattern and use automated band pass filters to breathe some life into the sound. Treating each LL channel differently helps, distortion eq etc. You should be able to get warmth out of it with some clever tweaking
juanmaclean
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by juanmaclean »

I'm a big fan too, been playing your stuff for years.