What controller for Traktor?

- ask away
loulou
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

What controller for Traktor?

Post by loulou »

Hi folks

Im looking to buy a controller for Traktor as i cant afford CDJ's atm., and i want to get into DJ'ing as im a experienced and quite good producer now, but the whole DJ-thing is quite new to me.

Im looking to buy a controller for Traktor, and have looked at Novation Twitch even though i know its for Serato.
Have anyone some experience with Twitch and Traktor? How is it? And how is it to control effects in traktor using Twitch?

The thing is that i dont want a controller with jog-wheels as i dont use them.

And what about Native Instruments own controllers? I looked at the K2, but it seems like it only has a few knobs? Would i need two to be i full control? Or what do i do/buy?

My budget is around 650 dollars

Thank you so much!

- loulou
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: What controller for Traktor?

Post by Themis »

if you want to get into DJing, i would save the money and buy real equipment

CDJs or Turntables, save the money on traktor, laptop, interface, controllers and all that stuff.
chance are nearly zero that you can DJ anywhere with a laptop and controllers.

so for 650 you get 2 used turntables
if you wanna play digital you should save some money cause CDJs are usually more expensive even used.

but i can tell you right now you will regret investing that whole money in little gadgets like controllers and stuff.

cause if you really have ambitions to DJ somewhere you have to talk to other DJs and club owners and promoters often this is one person all in one.
and you will get no respect if you show up with a laptop and a controller syncing up your tracks, cause that is not DJing.

my 2 cents :)
damnwords
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by damnwords »

kontrol z1 (integrated soundcard)+ kontrol x1 ? for 2 channels and a shitload of effects
or
allen&heath k2 + kontrol x1 + external soundcard\
or a used ni s4 mk1 that should cover 4 channels, effects and soundcard, and it has jog wheels in case you want to learn to beatmatch

I'm not sure this is the best forum to ask questions about traktor controllers.. You should try something like http://www.reddit.com/r/beatmatch
There's plenty of ki..people there who don't know what controllers to buy.

Also, if you're in the uk, you can buy 2 cdjs and a mixer with effects for that budget.
And if you save some more money, you can buy some cdj350s (so you can use usb sticks instead of cds).
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

and you will get no respect if you show up with a laptop and a controller syncing up your tracks, cause that is not DJing.
Yep and only playing records is. So narrow minded its untrue!!
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i never said only playing records is DJing. i said he should buy CDJs if he wants to play digital.

but please dont tell him, syncing up his tracks with traktor and fade in every 60 seconds one of a million bad traktor effects is going to get him anywhere.

cause that is exactly what he plans to do as it looks.

if DJing is not a competition about who can destroy a track with annoying effects the best.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Its got me a lot of places, but before that I was straight up vinyl then 50/50 now using technology to make my sets go that bit further.

My advice. Laptop and Controller.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

and you think, you would be in the same place as today if you never touched a vinyl a played straight with laptop and controller?

you must be kidding
SanderMartin
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SanderMartin »

Also an option for your budget:

- NI soundcard (maybe a used one)
- NI X1 controller
- 2 Direct Drive (not Technics) Turntables
- 2 Traktor Timecode records
- If you don't have one already you can also fit a cheap mixer in your budget i reckon.

Before ditching Traktor this was the set-up i started with. You can play your digital files while practicing with beatmatching, mixing etc at home. This will probably make you a better DJ than jumping straight into 4 deck laptop mixing. Also this way you can easily go from your home setup to the club with the same digital files on a USB stick and plug them in the CDJs found in clubs everywhere. Using a clubs' own system without having to plug-in all kinds of gear (if thats's even allowed) is so much easier.