live setup

- ask away
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

live setup

Post by ewinz »

Hi guys,

I got a question that u might have been seen a few times, I struggle to understand from youtube on google.

How do you set up a live set? How and what to extract from ableton projects?

If someone could guide me.

thanks for reading

KR.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: live setup

Post by John Clees »

everyone has their different approach. some capture parts, (sometimes with longer strings this is easier to have flexibility to mix into other tracks, or you have to create longer loops). however by doing solo parts in a tracks, you may find yourself using 5 or more channels to mix them all together..which I find to be extremely limiting... some like to turn knobs for effects, perhaps more on a physical level they feel obligated to make the midi controller look / feel like a live keyboard and make it a point to incorporate changes into their set twisting knobs....

I personally do loops from a track, (loop with with light kick, heavy kick, high hats, one with claps ect, and all combined) and perhaps may only have to use 2-4 channels, having tracks intermingling all together for maximum output and sound.. sometimes I get lost in a set, keeping 3-4 full tracks laying on top of one another, keeping certain channels buried at very low levels in the background... getting lost in sound and a feeling of what things create together as a whole..

I think you have to find which way you have the most fun... if your having fun doing it, that is ALL that matters. . if that holds true, then your listeners will feel the (fun element) as well..

best of luck. have fun!
daunzila
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daunzila »

Like Clees has said, everyone do his own live setup, thats part of the fun, you can mold the way you wanna play, im not a pro or anything, just a guy who has quit djing because i really think live is more fun, but this totally up to the way you set your project.

My live setup is simple and i think a lot of people use something similar, notebook with Live 9, a simple soundcard (m-audio pro), APC20 + Nanokontrol to control live, where i get 8 audio channels + 2 return channels(reverb and delay), in this 8 channels i use audio loops that i created, some of them i chop from my tracks and some i create just for the live, i separate the channels like that, 1 for kicks only, 1 for bass, 1 for combos with snare/claps/hats, 1 for pads and textures, 1 for percussion only, 1 for synths lines(something close to a lead channel), 1 for miscelaneous loops(the ones i cant really decide where to put hehe) and a last one with 1 shot clips(noises, voices, sweeps, random fx)
in the last few months i feel the need of more "live" elements, so i get first a kaospad, then a monotribe and now a volca beats, planning to get a portable mixer next month to put it all together easily and probably a volca keys, since the volca beats have been a really fun box :D

so to clarify, i dont have tracks that a reproduce live, i have lots of loops, some of then i get from my tracks, and i recombine then live to create something new every set :)

this basic live structure i get from the project swayzak shared some years ago (https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/swayzak/)
i hope this help, i had lots of headache when i started trying to understand this live thing ;)

cheers
Last edited by daunzila on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

thanks guys, the thing i struggle with is, one track i got 16 channels and the next 9,, I think Ill read about it a bit more and try to find a way to make it work, thanks a lot for your answers, pretty usefull
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

so how do u end up all the time with like 8 and not having too many channels and, how do u extract the loop ? from the actual project, clip nr1 nr2.... or from the actual finished track in the project sequencer, ok that was non understandable
daunzila
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daunzila »

hmmm i didnt understand your question man...
sometimes i record a loop from the clips, sometimes i chop then for the finished track, there is no rule here

and about having too much going on, most of the time i dont have all the 8 channels on, thats the job, find a balance in whats on, seeing whats missing, what can go next to make something different...

idk if im really helping here... hahahahaha
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

hire a rodee : sky's the limit.... ha!

easily one best live pa's and boiler room shows I've heard to date.. I thought I'd share..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsLZTb53s0E
zeropoint
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by zeropoint »

Tom Cosm might help.....

http://vimeo.com/1701545