- ask away
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

PUC - midi over wifi

Post by Robot Criminal »

LINK

this is cool! I ordered.
Tho I can NOT get my head around the fact that it lags on iOS less than with wired midi... They have a test video of it somewhere.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: PUC - midi over wifi

Post by oblioblioblio »

= more copper for me.... ahahahahahaha
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

the thing I hate the most is cabling stuff around. period.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I absolutely love cables... my music system probably has about 1km of cables and I love every inch of it even though I have to take it all apart for every event and put it back together. That's not even including all the copper traces on PCBs and internal cabling. With that it's probably about 2km. Again, love every mm of it.

Love big cables for mains AC and speakers, love balanced cables for audio. Love patch cables. Love my mains distribution system with bank of IEC outlets. Love my patchbay with modular rear panel for DIY custom inlets and outlets. Love my matrix mixing unit. Love all the copper windings in transformers. Love making beautiful cables with soldering iron and heatshrink. Love properly looping cables.

yay electrons. boo radio frequencies.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

I love cables too

But don't boo radio frequencies!

One of my favourite sound experiments was tuning a couple of portable radios just off the frequency in the station's control room & using the FM distortion on the feedback as the basis for composition ... fun stuff!!

;)
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

oblioblioblio wrote:I absolutely love cables... my music system probably has about 1km of cables and I love every inch of it even though I have to take it all apart for every event and put it back together. That's not even including all the copper traces on PCBs and internal cabling. With that it's probably about 2km. Again, love every mm of it.

Love big cables for mains AC and speakers, love balanced cables for audio. Love patch cables. Love my mains distribution system with bank of IEC outlets. Love my patchbay with modular rear panel for DIY custom inlets and outlets. Love my matrix mixing unit. Love all the copper windings in transformers. Love making beautiful cables with soldering iron and heatshrink. Love properly looping cables.

yay electrons. boo radio frequencies.
:D this really is heartwarming!
And I don't hate cables per se. They're absolutely marvelous some of them. I hate cabling.
OT: Damn I'd like to have a matrix mixing unit.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Sorry to continue the OT but thought I would say more about cables, as I don't believe midi without cables represents an advancement in music technology.

Here is the main power distribution unit that I'm using for my own setup (and mainly for events).

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/84071 ... PANEL-C612

With this, as well as tidying up the power, it allows for minimum impedance between earth connections of different instruments. Lots of hum problems are caused by earth connections of different units being separated by a resistance, which creates a voltage potential, and causes current to flow from one device to another via the earth connections. Having minimum resistance using proper power distribution helps with this problem. One problem is that all the power for the whole system needs to flow through one mains outlet which in the UK is rated for 16amp max, and the largest fuse is 13amp. Larger installations require specific rewiring of the mains.

This is the matrix mixer that I use

http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/pap ... /index.htm

I use it exclusively for mixing CV to allow for very subtle and creative timbral control of instruments.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Just to inform - the PUC is sh!t. It does midi to your ipad, not midi FROM your ipad, so useless for synth editors or sequencers and alike.
They have not managed to deliver the midi out (as promised) in two god damn years!