CANADIANS

- open
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

plaster wrote:it's the end of the world as we know it...kanada is taking over in house music..u'll see!
We know how to get our groove on ;)

Shake that booty! Haha.
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

It is weird, isn't it? My friend's wife is Canadian, and she just listens to sh!t rock music all the time. She hadn't even HEARD of Hawtin/Plastikman (unbelieveable...). Seems that Canada has a strange mixture of extremely successful, talented techno/house artists, and boring, stereotypical country boys who just listen to rock music. Is techno still very underground in Canada or what? What's the story?!
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Teknorich wrote:It is weird, isn't it? My friend's wife is Canadian, and she just listens to sh!t rock music all the time. She hadn't even HEARD of Hawtin/Plastikman (unbelieveable...). Seems that Canada has a strange mixture of extremely successful, talented techno/house artists, and boring, stereotypical country boys who just listen to rock music. Is techno still very underground in Canada or what? What's the story?!
It's still quite underground. And a lot of people, world wide, don't know who Richie Hawtin is ;) We all have different preferences. When I'm just listening, not playing music, I like to listen to epic cinematic rock like Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed you black emperor...shoegaze bands like Slowdive...I listen to non-electronic music just as much, if not more, than I do electronic music. And I'm very comfortable with it. I prefer to stay as open as I possibly can for new things. To me, it's the best way to get inspiration for my own music when I produce or play. As for stereotypes and whatnot, I'm not a 'countryboy' as it were. I'm a minimalist. I'm modern, contemporary, etc. But I still listen to music outside of electronic music. Frankly, my life would be boring if I had only electronic music to listen to. Diversity is what Canada is famous for, and it has it. Every single kind of music anyone could imagine can be found here. A lot of it is underground, a lot of it is not. That's just the way it is here.
Aron
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Aron »

Jesse Somfay wrote:
Teknorich wrote:It is weird, isn't it? My friend's wife is Canadian, and she just listens to sh!t rock music all the time. She hadn't even HEARD of Hawtin/Plastikman (unbelieveable...). Seems that Canada has a strange mixture of extremely successful, talented techno/house artists, and boring, stereotypical country boys who just listen to rock music. Is techno still very underground in Canada or what? What's the story?!
It's still quite underground. And a lot of people, world wide, don't know who Richie Hawtin is ;) We all have different preferences. When I'm just listening, not playing music, I like to listen to epic cinematic rock like Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed you black emperor...shoegaze bands like Slowdive...I listen to non-electronic music just as much, if not more, than I do electronic music. And I'm very comfortable with it. I prefer to stay as open as I possibly can for new things. To me, it's the best way to get inspiration for my own music when I produce or play. As for stereotypes and whatnot, I'm not a 'countryboy' as it were. I'm a minimalist. I'm modern, contemporary, etc. But I still listen to music outside of electronic music. Frankly, my life would be boring if I had only electronic music to listen to. Diversity is what Canada is famous for, and it has it. Every single kind of music anyone could imagine can be found here. A lot of it is underground, a lot of it is not. That's just the way it is here.
I think, though, that Dutch house is much more mainstream.
Therefore it falls prey to commercial thinking, which kills a lot of the spontinaity (spelling?) that (techno-)music should carry.
It's nice to be minimal, but it's more minimal to be nice
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Aron wrote:I think, though, that Dutch house is much more mainstream.
Therefore it falls prey to commercial thinking, which kills a lot of the spontinaity (spelling?) that (techno-)music should carry.
Yeah. Electronic music in Europe in general seems to be much more popular than it is here in North America. So I suppose it would lose a lot of its spontaneity because of that. Here it's just the opposite.
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

Which probably results in better quality and more underground music. Nice situation you got there!!

(Jesse - I wasn't dissing Canadians by saying "steroetypical" mate. Just that this girl told me she used to go drinking in truckers bars, which were full of big burly guys with beards, wearing check shirts and listening to rock music!)
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Teknorich wrote:(Jesse - I wasn't dissing Canadians by saying "steroetypical" mate. Just that this girl told me she used to go drinking in truckers bars, which were full of big burly guys with beards, wearing check shirts and listening to rock music!)
I know. I just thought I'd point out all of us...well...most of us are different. But I know you weren't being offensive. Although there are some burly guys with too much hair wearing flannel shirts and listening to rock, hehe. I keep as far away from them as possible though. A tall skinny guy like me with feminine style would not be welcome near them ;)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i want to visit canada so badly...i will visit canada one day!
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.