Re: good mixer

combination thread.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

rodec is really nice, but 1000 euro for a 3 channel mixer ... mäh ..
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Themis wrote:rodec is really nice, but 1000 euro for a 3 channel mixer ... mäh ..
MX180 new for around 1200€ with 5 channels plus send/return
You are paying for quality mate. These things last for years. Mine is 20 years old.
Do you think an A&H will last that long?
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I'd love to DIY a dj mixer. I've looked for kits before, but they were way too basic and I don't know enough to expand on them. I'd mostly just like to design the housing and choose the knobs/switches with the wiring being the kit.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

It would be a fun project, although when it came to the electronics I bet it would take a lot of work just to pick quality components that work well together though if it's an analogue mixer you're building. Guess you'd be avoiding that bit with your idea.

That Rodec 5-channel is pretty tasty, if I find a spare grand lying around I might go for it although there's a lot of other things I'd also be tempted by if I had that money. It seems like there's a lack of a decent 4-5 channel mixer without basic design flaws. I used a DJM-800 the other night and was reminded that the overall master level affects the level of the master in the cue, that's a real shocker for a premium mixer...
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

judging from what I read here, most aren't too keen on allen&heath mixers, or do I understand this wrong ?

I'm gonna get myself a 4 channel mixer somewhere next year, and I was planning on the DB4.
Any comments on that mixer ?
I would primarily use it for vinyl mixing, and add 2 CDJ's on the other 2 channels, or replace the CDJ's with something like Traktor if I wanted to.
Is the DB4 more aimed at traktor-mixing and so completely wrong for what I want to do ?
Or does the DB4 suck built quality wise ?

Mind you, I have aboslutely no idea when it comes to DJ mixers.
I used to DJ occasionally from around 93 to 99 or so, and that was just at local small parties and at univ, where I was already happy enough to find an EQ on the mixers I had to use.
And long before stuff like CDJ's where invented or even MP3 was wide-spread... :lol:

Anyways, if anyone has a good suggestion mixer-wise for what I want to, then please do so.
The price is not so important as the fact that it's gotta be good quality.
many thx !
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Another solid no bells and whistles mixer, made in Holland (not China) by Dateq:
Around 600€
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Hades wrote:judging from what I read here, most aren't too keen on allen&heath mixers, or do I understand this wrong ?
ive given A&H mixers some bad press over the years, we had alot of problems at Freerotation, used to hire A&H mixers for the event because we had so many artists asking for them, and so many faults kept occuring during the festival,
however we decided to buy a Xone 92 new, the thinking being that hire company mixers are probably seriously trashed, and the first thing that happened was that i got an electric shock off it, so i sent a fairly hardcore letter mumbling stuff about 'made in china' etc..to A&H and demanded a new mixer and apology.

it turned out that the power supply (made in china) was faulty, they sent me a new mixer and ive never had any problems in three years since, and to be fair its a good sounding mixer, and i like the filters on it. i've become quite addicted to it, and find it hard to use anything else when i DJ.
but most of my friends swear by Ecler mixers, theyre very well built and sound great, but i cant get into the style of the effects section and dont like the filters.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

If I was looking to get a DJ mixer there's no way I would use the ones with an EQ with the 3 level controls for bass, mid, and treble... like a consumer HiFi. I'm used to Ableton and parametric style EQ is the only thing I would touch. But that's for my style of djing.

Selling a product that gave an electric shock is a very big deal imo. I've happily used products with low safety power solutions and joked about it, but it just takes one tiny thing to go wrong and the consequences are massive. It's not hard or expensive to design to design a safe power supply.