Giving away all of my music for free.

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Giving away all of my music for free.

Post by steevio »

jackbrazzo wrote:Perhaps we should just use merchandising and live performance as a way of income for a pro musician now using the music as a form of advertising and now these days perhaps that should be free?
merchandise and live performance has for a long time been the way most pro musicans make money. i was in several bands for many years, we made nothing from record sales really, the royalties were always peanuts, but we shifted a hell of a lot of T-shirts on tour.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

But do electronic music fans buy t-shirts? I haven't seen one worn in literally years. Underground Resistance shirts used to be popular years ago, but I haven't seen those in ages either. Typically when you go to a club, absolutely no one wears a music-related t-shirt. That's the situation at least here in Finland.

When there's a famous foreign DJ/live act playing, he isn't even selling any merchandise. Maybe Finland is just too far away from everything, and artists don't bother to bring their merchandise with them.

As a sidenote, speaking of merchandise, I found this kinda hilarious. Official Omar S ice cube tray anyone?

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/fxhe-ice ... 312912-01/
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

Barfunkel wrote: As a sidenote, speaking of merchandise, I found this kinda hilarious. Official Omar S ice cube tray anyone?

haha even better than the minus towell :D

that's a working link btw: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/fxhe-ice ... 312912-01/
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

roland wrote:
Barfunkel wrote: As a sidenote, speaking of merchandise, I found this kinda hilarious. Official Omar S ice cube tray anyone?

haha even better than the minus towell :D

that's a working link btw: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/fxhe-ice ... 312912-01/
:lol: :lol:

To be honest I'll buy merchandise and cool t-shirt if I found some, but always I searched for something it was actually crap. Will love to have some t-shirt with the perlon artwork/colors or whatever.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Barfunkel wrote:But do electronic music fans buy t-shirts? I haven't seen one worn in literally years. Underground Resistance shirts used to be popular years ago, but I haven't seen those in ages either. Typically when you go to a club, absolutely no one wears a music-related t-shirt. That's the situation at least here in Finland.

When there's a famous foreign DJ/live act playing, he isn't even selling any merchandise. Maybe Finland is just too far away from everything, and artists don't bother to bring their merchandise with them.

As a sidenote, speaking of merchandise, I found this kinda hilarious. Official Omar S ice cube tray anyone?

individual artists rarely sell t-shirts, its too much hassle for them, theyre usually just carrying a laptop or record bag on their own on a flight, although Jus Ed had a huge bag of CDs and T-shirts with him at Freerotation a couple of years ago, and ive been to several label showcase nights where you could buy them. (Techno label T-shirts used to be quite popular, myabe not so much now)
i only mentioned T-shirts, because thats common for bands etc. but merchandise doesnt stop at T-shirts, for electronic music CD's are well worth selling, special mixes, unreleased material etc..

be inventive. a mate of mine was selling small cheap memory sticks with new material a while back. he bought loads of them in bulk cheap.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

we've just had people asking for Freerotation T-shirts on the Facebook page in the last couple of days, and when we sold Mindtours ones a few years ago, we shifted them all.
vinyl flies out at Freerotation, last year i forgot to put the Mindtours vinyl out on a stall a friend of mine was running until 30 minutes before she packed up for the weekend, and she sold 25 x 12's in that time
emoryemlyn
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by emoryemlyn »

Well, good points all around, both from the people for, and the people against.

Lets say I do put my music out on the vinyl market. Sure, if I have some quality tracks, ppl who buy records will know about me. But how many ppl buy records? Take a look at yourselves here. You are only on the mnml board if you are seriously into electronic music in some way. Either you are a hardcore fan, HARDCORE, or you spin tracks, make jams. You're into it. But we are not most people. We can't even pretend that we represent the 99% of fuckers who listen to music. We are a small and avant garde group. Most dj's dont even spin vinyl. Most don't even own turn tables. They have a cracked version of serato and are playing youtube rips at 128kps because they don't understand sound quality. They are a true army of fan boys.

And most people listening to the jams aren't even the fan boy army. They are just ppl who go to parties, have a few cds burned with some tracks and listen to it in the apartment or the car with friends smoking a bowl. Those dudes aren't surfing beatport or juno.

So, yeah, the "industry" ....whatever that anomalous thing is, is a place where you can try to rise to the top in, hoping ppl are buying your music in a world where no one has money and eats off food stamps. You can do this. I could do this, I plan on still doing this, remember, I'm still making eps all the time. I just made a new 4 track ep I'm going to send somewhere. But to me it comes down to why I'm making music. I'm not worried about becoming big and famous. Being the next Hawtin or Villalobos. I make music not because I want a world of fans saying my name or worshiping me over some decks or a PA set up. I make music because I love to. I mean, that sh!t is just fun man. I'm creating something. I'm making moments. And hey, sometimes those moments are only shared with a few ppl here in my apartment. But thats ok, it was just a moment in this reality that at the moment I'm not even sure is real, and it was some magic, man.

Fucking magic.

And that's cool to me. I mean, I still plan on sending out to labels. I have hundreds of tracks I need to get off my pile and into other ppls. But I have no problem sending out stuff for free. the more the better. And if I get some releases that get popular, ppl will know that I've got a huge pool of some good stuff they can take home with them to smoke weed and snort embalming fluid with their friends and enjoy free of goddam charge.

Because I'm american, and I don't know about you guys, but living here loose change is a hard thing to come by.

Tim.
emoryemlyn
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by emoryemlyn »

But all jokes aside. I'll just make my money from my own brand of Official Timothy Dalton Cat litter boxes.