Giving away all of my music for free.

- ask away
emoryemlyn
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Giving away all of my music for free.

Post by emoryemlyn »

Hey dudes, thanks for the replies. Also, some good points about the .wav issue, that sucks, because I'd love to have my jams being played in the most prestige quality possible, but the 320 could work as well.

Though, second thing, just for fun. If anyone produces, and wants to do a remix just for kicks, I'll send you the parts.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

emoryemlyn wrote:Though, second thing, just for fun. If anyone produces, and wants to do a remix just for kicks, I'll send you the parts.
thats even more risky.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

tone-def wrote:
emoryemlyn wrote:Though, second thing, just for fun. If anyone produces, and wants to do a remix just for kicks, I'll send you the parts.
thats even more risky.
True... but fck it. At this point take all the risks you want. What do you have to lose? Every point here about people stealing music is dead on. But if you want to do it digitally its practically already stolen. I say go for it but do it on a personal level like you've got it. Get email addresses manually send download links, make friends and connections.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

hydrogen wrote:
tone-def wrote:
thats even more risky.
True... but fck it. ...
well said!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

this is some of the best electronic music I've heard in a long time. Outstanding.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

good music! (*)
topperanza
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by topperanza »

oblioblioblio wrote:this is some of the best electronic music I've heard in a long time. Outstanding.
+1 (*)
...the last thing i remember is...

https://soundcloud.com/topper
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Giving away all your music for free is a terrible idea. If you put no dollar value on your own music why in the world would a label do so? I work for one of the larger labels around and i can tell you first hand that we would never accept any tracks from an artist that were previously given away for free due to licensing concerns. By giving your music away you've basically given up all hopes at making money on any of the tracks you've made freely available by any label of note in the electronic music industry.

Even though you may feel the need to let people hear your music which i can totally relate to because i was once in your position as well, you are actually going to shoot yourself in the foot on this one.

That being said there are better options than waiting for a label to pick your music up for release or giving it away for free. There is always the option on which this entire industry is built, create your own label and sell the music yourself. It takes time to build a following but it's still the best way to gain respect in the industry and with other labels. It's really not as hard as you think and it will insure that you have a long career in this industry.