Monitor: what should be the next step?

combination thread.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Monitor: what should be the next step?

Post by blizt »

So it's already three or four years since I started with the KRK 5. I'm no expert in sound and I like them but I feel it's time to get an upgrade. So looking at spending a maximum of 1000 euros on a pair, what brand/models should be an improvement? Should I save more and go for a better audio system? Thanks.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Monitor: what should be the next step?

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Well naturally if you could save up more and get some higher end monitors that would be ideal but in the sub $1000 there are still some good options I am sure. I have the Makie MR8 mk2 and generally I think they sound pretty good. They use many of the same components as the HR series. I think you could get a pair for $570 - $700 depending on where you live. The best plan is maybe to just go demo lots of monitors. Other then these monitors I can't think of too much off-hand in the sub $1000 range that that really stands out.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

I worked with a pair of mackie HR624's for years, and I was always happy with them.
Last year I got a pair of Focal twin 6BE's.
I highly recommend those, but even the solo 6BE's are twice as expensive as your budget,
and I don't know enough about their cheaper monitors to recommend them.

Steevio is mad about his mackie HR824's, so maybe you could look into a pair of those ?

Another thing I highly recommend are the recoil stabilizers from Primacoustic.
They seem expensive for what they are, but they do exactly what they claim on their website :
better defined bass, bigger sweetspot,...
they make 500$ monitors sound like 800$ monitors, and 800$ monitors sound like 1500$
They are very much worth their money !
(but they weigh a lot, so make sure your stands can support them)

Plus, you should always try to look at treating your room, even if it's only a little bit.
You can get 2000$ monitors, if the room is total crap, it's a complete waste of money.
I know not everyone has the option to treat his room (if you rent a place,...)
but if you do, it really pays off to do it.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

go to a shop and have a listen.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Yeah, visiting the shops in the city is a must to make a final decision, but since I dont know any person that also produce house/techno/whatever to ask for advice, I also like to know the opinion of other people. I'm probably going to make a list of the most recommended stuff I find on diverse forums and then try to hear them if it's possible.

@Hades: I will check the stabilizers. Right now the monitors are sitting on dedicated stands with the auralex mopad and get no resonances at all, at least that I can hear. About treating the room, this was very clear for me since I took it more seriously and I lots many of weekends last year building my own stuff: floor to ceiling bass traps, panels and celing cloud.

Thanks for advice.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Yeah, visiting the shops in the city is a must to make a final decision, but since I dont know any person that also produce house/techno/whatever to ask for advice, I also like to know the opinion of other people. I'm probably going to make a list of the most recommended stuff I find on diverse forums and then try to hear them if it's possible.

@Hades: I will check the stabilizers. Right now the monitors are sitting on dedicated stands with the auralex mopad and get no resonances at all, at least that I can hear. About treating the room, this was very clear for me since I took it more seriously and I spent lots of weekends last year building my own stuff: floor to ceiling bass traps, panels and celing cloud.

Thanks for advice.
Last edited by blizt on Fri May 04, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

Might want to have a look for a 2nd hand pair. You can get a steal if someone needs the cash quick ...
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

blizt wrote: @Hades: I will check the stabilizers. Right now the monitors are sitting on dedicated stands with the auralex mopad and get no resonances at all, at least that I can hear. About treating the room, this was very clear for me since I took it more seriously and I lots many of weekends last year building my own stuff: floor to ceiling bass traps, panels and celing cloud.

Thanks for advice.
there's a lot more resonance that can go on than what you can hear. I never heard any problems with my old mackie's, untill I put them on the recoil stabilizers and heard a big difference.
good thing you treated the room.
then you'll double enjoy getting better monitors !
I'm gonna get a sub in june, and I'm thinking about installing a ceiling cloud (rest of the room is properly treated).
Did you check the room before and after the ceiling cloud ?
Did you hear a lot of difference ?
I'm kind of reluctant to install one since my house is really old, so it has nice high ceilings, and a ceiling cloud isn't the greatest add-on esthetically.
But I still have a few bass notes that sound a bit louder than others, even after proper treatment, so I'm thinking it might be a good idea to add the cloud.