Techno arrangement tricks...

- ask away
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Techno arrangement tricks...

Post by Rein »

@toloache: right click (or option click on mac) on the parameter you want to map and move the rotary / press the button you want to assign the parameter to. should work...

also try to trow in a 1/3 or 2/3 bar loop on top of the 1/2 bar loops... can give some really nice flows.
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

It work for standard knobs but not for infinite rotary knob.. for example in traktor you select rotary from the drop down menu and it recognize how it should handle it, ableton does not unfortunately! And for example if i make a drum rack and want to assign a button to the solo and mute of the rack pads, i cant because ableton doesn't make you assign it.. In my opinion ableton midi assignment could be a lot better!
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

You can definitely assign the solo and mute buttons. Which controller are you using anyway?
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

finishing a track is pretty hard for me... that`s the reason why I am working on my third liveset in 2 years at the moment :lol:

I always start in Live`s clip view creating sounds and loops. I do variations of the several sounds / resampling so I have plenty material to start. Then I copy the clips into arrangement view and start building up the track. Not so wrong I think.
but in the last 12 months I`ve stopped every track at about 3 minutes and copied the clips from clip view into my liveset project and finished the track (just clips ordered so I can play the track live) there for the livepa. This means the track just exists when I am playing it live.

I don`t cut a finished track (made in arrangement view) into pieces and use that for the livepa, I build it up in clip view from scratch. so every track from my livepa is a little bit rough in terms of arrangement. works well for livepa, but I would like to hear the tracks as a "track" per se more finished and complex.

I could just record my liveset tracks but I have the feeling that its going to be not that complex as I would do it in arrangement view... And I always got more organic and less loopy songs when I worked in arrangement view.

Here is tarekith`s guide to song arrangement > http://tarekith.com/assets/arranging.html
I guess`you guys are knowing this guide =) anyway, I`ve tried that method several times, always went too loopy for my taste. But it works well for other people for sure!

What I know is working for me or better said : What I hope I can achieve so its working for me > Focusing on the subject "producing", no internet, nothing around that can catch my interest (hard to achieve) and some guidelines which will speed up the process, e.g. if I am messing around with an idea for more than 30mins I stop it and try another thing. It helps me a lot too when I write down some words or what else in which direction my song should go. Its more like a graphic than words. you guys know Iannis Xennakis? > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZazYFchLRI
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

kivetros wrote: but it feels kinda generic to me.
Good that you notice!

Using a polymetric pattern, even an ambient one, will help with forcing you out of the 16/32/64 structure

Lots of my tracks are pretty boring and generic and to be honest I like it that way, but I usually have an element subtly working in 5/7/9/11/17 that helps to push & pull the overall arrangement - even working in session view seeing the clips spill over eachother etc

@optX: nice post, I do that as well for developing live sets - 3 minute track sketches. and yes Xenakis is the master; we should all appreciate his deep work in microtonality/harmony as timbre and also his pure vision of chance-based music (30% composition/70% chance or so I remember)
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

You can definitely assign the solo and mute buttons. Which controller are you using anyway?
I use an ecler Nuo 4 Mixer and a Traktor Kontrol X1.. I have just took a look.. In my ableton version (8.2.7) you cant definitely assign to midi any drum rack pad solo, mute and play button...
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

you're right, you can't.
only thing you could do, is use the activator buttons as a half-wit work-around.

seems stupid they make it not possible -frown 2
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Toloache wrote:
I use an ecler Nuo 4 Mixer and a Traktor Kontrol X1.. I have just took a look.. In my ableton version (8.2.7) you cant definitely assign to midi any drum rack pad solo, mute and play button...
get a different controller bro