fatten up bassline plugin

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: fatten up bassline plugin

Post by Phase Ghost »

michaellpenman wrote: So use a high pass filter on everything that doesn't need bass.
This is standard procedure for me also. High pass filters on every channel except kick and bass. I'd recommend using a high pass with and adjustable db slope. Logic's channel eq high pass filter is perfect for this.
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

AK wrote:Different subject to making stupid chords with bass. This dont work, 5th always work but it's a mile away from making a triad bass sound 'to make it thicker' what the fck?
AK you're really coming over as being an aggressive "technique nazi". Looks seriously bad man.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I don't care. I'm just arguing over that initial point. If you don't like the fact that I have an opinion, that's your problem not mine. The question was, how can I fatten a bassline, the reply was. Make chords.

If people want to dish out complete nonesence then carry on but don't pull me up if I stand to question it.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

michaellpenman wrote:
AK wrote:Different subject to making stupid chords with bass. This dont work, 5th always work but it's a mile away from making a triad bass sound 'to make it thicker' what the fck?

lots of people use a root and fifth on a bass or even the seventh. By detuning the different ocs's you can create different phase relationships which inturn create some complex over harmonics. Which some people like
It all depends on the track
Who is lots of people? I'd like you to point me to a track where the bass is chords. It doesn't happen and for a reason. You can create different phase relationships by doing a lot of things but it doesn't mean they will sound any good.

I don't know why you are trying to defend this for, in fact I'm pretty shocked at the moment, you can't even hear low register chords because the ear can't distinguish the intervals, there's a reason why Pianists, Guitarists and whoever else do not use low chords for anything except an effect because it doesn't work. Show me a polyphonic bass guitar.
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

michaellpenman wrote:
Toloache wrote:Yeah, i spectrum analyze everything... But my point is that if i have the 808 in standard tune (49 hz G), and i play a bass note in 49hz g underneath, it sounds almost out of tune, you hear this disturbing click. This is even more pronuenced if i use the fifth, D.

This happens because of the weird pitch curve of the 808. I can sometimes lessen the problem turning off quantize and programming the bass some ms forward of the kick, but the the clicky sound doesn't disappear completely.

Dunno, maybe im over complicating things and this click happens to everyone, but in all the commercial songs i hear this smooth bass coupled with the 808 and i wonder how they tune it to minimize the clicky problem.

to be honest that sounds like a problem with levels rather than the pitch decay

what levels are you faders at, are they clipping
michaellpenman wrote:
Toloache wrote:Yeah, i spectrum analyze everything... But my point is that if i have the 808 in standard tune (49 hz G), and i play a bass note in 49hz g underneath, it sounds almost out of tune, you hear this disturbing click. This is even more pronuenced if i use the fifth, D.

This happens because of the weird pitch curve of the 808. I can sometimes lessen the problem turning off quantize and programming the bass some ms forward of the kick, but the the clicky sound doesn't disappear completely.

Dunno, maybe im over complicating things and this click happens to everyone, but in all the commercial songs i hear this smooth bass coupled with the 808 and i wonder how they tune it to minimize the clicky problem.

I almost never clip, constantly mix at -6db, kick as low as -9 -10... Maybe it's a fine tuning problem beetween my programmed bass and the kick.. I will try to touch the fine tuing knobs when i have some spare time
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Toloache wrote:
michaellpenman wrote:

michaellpenman wrote:

I almost never clip, constantly mix at -6db, kick as low as -9 -10... Maybe it's a fine tuning problem beetween my programmed bass and the kick.. I will try to touch the fine tuing knobs when i have some spare time

2 49hz frequencies sounding at the same time would produce undesirable results I would have thought but also because of phase cancellation as well. Personally, I'd just avoid using that specific note when the kick happens. If the kick is pushing out 49hz - a 'G', it's already doing the job itself.

I know the kind of tracks you are on about but it's a million miles away from what I'm into so I have no idea about that technique or what the process entails.

[edit] Ever tried using a decayed 808 as the bass? Just sample it with full decay and remove the attack and use it as a chromatic sound in a sampler. The very nature of the timbre would mean it would work with the kick sound as that's what it is. Pretty much a DnB trick minus the distortion and chorus.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

AK wrote:......there's a reason why Pianists, Guitarists and whoever else do not use low chords for anything except an effect because it doesn't work.......
I'm not trying to argue with you, but do you ever listen to Jazz or Classical? I'm sure they have more than one note being played for bass...
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

lem wrote:
AK wrote:......there's a reason why Pianists, Guitarists and whoever else do not use low chords for anything except an effect because it doesn't work.......
I'm not trying to argue with you, but do you ever listen to Jazz or Classical? I'm sure they have more than one note being played for bass...

They don't. If it's a double bass they might create interesting harmonics here and there by adopting a certain playing technique like thumb stopping or whatever, but they wont be playing chords. Why on earth would they?

Why do you think synthesizers designed for bass are usually monophonic? If I had a bassline which went D, Eb, G and then decided to 'thicken it up' by instead playing Dm, EbM and Gm do you really believe for one minute that this would be a good idea? What's going on with people?

Next time you make a track, put your bass into triad chords and let us hear it. If you heard it over a large system, it would just sound a mess. I'm all for experimentation but some things just do not work. Chords are usually comprised from mid-frequency sounding instruments. Do you know why this is? It's due to human perception and pitch recognition. The lower you go, the harder it is for the human ear to detect and identify pitch, making chords from such low frequencies just wont sound good, you wont be able to properly distinguish the tonality, the cluster of low frequencies will cause severe mix issues, and the track will just sound terrible....There's not a single ounce of logic to doing it.

There's lots of ways to get better sounding basslines - but seriously, this is a ridiculous thing with the chords. Any bass type instrument would be playing monophonic lines the vast majority of the time. You can do chords on bass but as I was saying before, it would be for effect more than anything, certainly not to thicken a bass sound up.