- ask away
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: fatten up bassline plugin

Post by ICN »

AK wrote:
ICN wrote:+1

or make a little chord out of your patch.

THEN - you'll be in the best place to begin.
Chords from bass? Dude this is just wrong before it begun.....c'mon man!

To the OP, buy an SH-101 - happy bass days! Filled my gap and satisfied me....
So by that logic - Buying a SH101 is just right? ROFL infinity :P

The earth isnt flat either AK - have you heard that one? :lol:
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

ICN wrote:
AK wrote:
ICN wrote:+1

or make a little chord out of your patch.

THEN - you'll be in the best place to begin.
Chords from bass? Dude this is just wrong before it begun.....c'mon man!

To the OP, buy an SH-101 - happy bass days! Filled my gap and satisfied me....
So by that logic - Buying a SH101 is just right? ROFL infinity :P

The earth isnt flat either AK - have you heard that one? :lol:
I'm not sure what you're on about mate. I'm saying that low end sounds need to be monophonic, not polyphonic. You suggested making a chord in a bass register. That's a terrible thing to suggest because it just does not work. The 101 thing was just a sideline, you can make decent bass with a lot of things but having the bass do chords is what I was arguing against.

BTW, yep. The 101 is a perfect bass synth but that wasn't what I was on about. I was on about your silly idea of using chords for bass.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

You can do bass with chords, I think of it like detuning an oscillator...

edit - i dont use more than 3 notes.
Last edited by lem on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

lem wrote:You can do bass with chords, I think of it like detuning an oscillator...
Nobody said you can't do it. I'm saying polyphony in low register frequencies sounds terrible. And detuning an oscillator does not mean chords? What is that supposed to mean mate, I'm confused?

The best you can do in low end is to play perfect fifths for bass - and rarely. Guitarists know this but wont use it while the bass guy is doing his thing. I'm sorry but this is absolutely wrong in terms of basslines.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Haha, im not too sure how else to explain it - i will try tho bro.

Rather than detune an oscillator to a perfect 5th you can play another note on that 5th. So its basically the same thing but you can make some bass stabs 5ths, some mono, some 7ths etc...

I mention this but it might just work for my polysynth, although im sure i have made it work well with electric piano plugins...

Sorry if im not explaining it very well im pretty tired...
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

:D
AK wrote:
I'm not sure what you're on about mate. I'm saying that low end sounds need to be monophonic, not polyphonic. You suggested making a chord in a bass register. That's a terrible thing to suggest because it just does not work. The 101 thing was just a sideline, you can make decent bass with a lot of things but having the bass do chords is what I was arguing against.

BTW, yep. The 101 is a perfect bass synth but that wasn't what I was on about. I was on about your silly idea of using chords for bass.
AK - DUH.. Obviously you mono the bass. :D

Anyway - other people have got the concept.. Thats enough :lol:
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

ICN wrote::D
AK wrote:

AK - DUH.. Obviously you mono the bass. :D

Anyway - other people have got the concept.. Thats enough :lol:
What the hell is 'Duh'?

Is that implying that I'm stupid or something? I'm not at all stupid mate, and it has absolutely nothing to do do with the 101 ( I said that in my last post so there's no reason to even mention it ) What I was saying, is that polyphony, with low notes, causes a mud - a mess if you like, of frequencies that human perception can't comprehend. There is a cut off point.

This is silly.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Mono-xID wrote:what you mean exactly with "tune to each other"...does this mean for example,my bass is at G,then my kick has to hit on G too??
Sorry, I should have explained that. Like michaellpenman said, I tune the kick and bass a 5th or 4th apart. Generally, I tune my bass a 4th lower than the kick drum's fundamental note. So, if the kick is in B, the lowest bass note would be in E...a 4th apart.

No matter what, I make the final adjustment by ear. I make all my kicks from scratch, but in the process of making the kick the note gets pitched up (or possibly down) a little from using envelopes on the pitch. So, I use a tuner to get the bass note close to where it should be and than adjust it until it sounds right with the kick (both pitch and attack). It's kinda like a two note chord minus the 3rd.

To confuse things a little more, I've been experimenting with the kick and bass a 3rd apart. The lowest bass as the root and the kick as a 3rd. However, I've found it's tough to get it just right this way. My oscillators need an even finer fine tuning option to dial it in exactly.

:D