New Studio Build

- ask away
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: New Studio Build

Post by 5meohd »

well the allen & heath IS a better soundcard :)

also mackie makes one as well... 16 channel.. firewire in & out... I'd say its a pretty desirable addition to any techno studio.

However.. I agree that adding room treatment is #1 priority. Then maybe some analog synth capabilities (my vote is 2,000 on eurorack).

maschine 500
audio kontrol 6 300
komplete 8 ultimate 1000
eurorack 2000

so thats 3800 with 1200 left to spend on either treatment or building your own macpro.

I just built a decent hackintosh capable machine for ~1000 USD.. i5 2500k is overclockable to 4 gHz/s per core.. 16 gigs of quick solid ram.. 60gb solid state drive for OS.. blu-ray drive and decent video card for my home theater hobby.. and a full kit of Noctua silent fans and heatsink.. plus a hi-fi style horizontal case for style!! oh and the motherboard is top notch for the "outdated" p67 military grade capacitors and stuff :)

thats my 2 cents!
markos
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by markos »

5meohd wrote:well the allen & heath IS a better soundcard :)

also mackie makes one as well... 16 channel.. firewire in & out... I'd say its a pretty desirable addition to any techno studio.

However.. I agree that adding room treatment is #1 priority. Then maybe some analog synth capabilities (my vote is 2,000 on eurorack).

maschine 500
audio kontrol 6 300
komplete 8 ultimate 1000
eurorack 2000

so thats 3800 with 1200 left to spend on either treatment or building your own macpro.

I just built a decent hackintosh capable machine for ~1000 USD.. i5 2500k is overclockable to 4 gHz/s per core.. 16 gigs of quick solid ram.. 60gb solid state drive for OS.. blu-ray drive and decent video card for my home theater hobby.. and a full kit of Noctua silent fans and heatsink.. plus a hi-fi style horizontal case for style!! oh and the motherboard is top notch for the "outdated" p67 military grade capacitors and stuff :)

thats my 2 cents!
So much to think about here. I've heard about the hackintosh route, but worried about having issue's with updates etc. how would it stand up to installing drivers and such? I mean it sounds like a stellar deal but there is always that "what if" factor that comes into play. I know we are talking about an extra 700 to 1000 bucks for the i7 27 inch, but there is the mac support, and peace of mind that comes with that.

Essentially, I think the necesary items are a new computer (which ever route i do choose to take) and the maschine. Looked into Auralex's room kits and they seem to range from around 500 - 800 bucks for there Roominator series which seems to be a good choice. So with that being said im looking at:

Maschine - 650
Roominator kit - 800 (go with the higher price just to be safe for budgeting purposes)
Computer - Mac i7 27 inch - $1899 (off the refurbished site) or Hackintosh build for just over $ 1000

total with hackintosh - 2450
total with mac i7 - 3349
(not including any taxes)

Definetly some room to buy myself a moog slim phatty, or some other type of synth.

Guess my big decision now comes to which type of computer to get (whether hacintosh or mac), and sound card options. Though i think for now, and for budgeting purposes the Allen & Heath may be a little over kill. As nice as it would be to have, it's just not necessary at this time. Really my biggest question is now computer....pretty set on doing some room treatment, purchasing maschine, and a synth or two.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

markos wrote:
AK wrote:
The Moog Minitaur looks very cool but not sure about the sounds it will make for tech hhouse and techno. i like really low subby type bass sounds.
???

I don't quite understand what you mean there. I don't think there are any demos of it yet but it's an analogue monophonic synth. How could it not make low subby basses when it has a LP filter and envelopes?

insert mystified emoticon here :arrow:
markos
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by markos »

AK wrote:
markos wrote:
AK wrote:
The Moog Minitaur looks very cool but not sure about the sounds it will make for tech hhouse and techno. i like really low subby type bass sounds.
???

I don't quite understand what you mean there. I don't think there are any demos of it yet but it's an analogue monophonic synth. How could it not make low subby basses when it has a LP filter and envelopes?

insert mystified emoticon here :arrow:

Again i'm very new to outboard synths so not sure about the types of bass sounds they can produce. From the sounds of these videos the bass is more electro house style or dub step.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

markos wrote: From the sounds of these videos the bass is more electro house style or dub step.
Nah mate . It's just demo'ing with the filter wide open :? - which is something they would do to show you how the filter sounds. I'm not saying, go get this synth but I'm saying you're mistaken for pigeon-holing it to genre specifics. It's a bass synth in essence and as soon as you close that filter, you have deep sub tones.
markos
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by markos »

AK wrote:
markos wrote: From the sounds of these videos the bass is more electro house style or dub step.
Nah mate . It's just demo'ing with the filter wide open :? - which is something they would do to show you how the filter sounds. I'm not saying, go get this synth but I'm saying you're mistaken for pigeon-holing it to genre specifics. It's a bass synth in essence and as soon as you close that filter, you have deep sub tones.
Gotcha! I understand. I will have to check it out in store and really play around with it and the slim phatty. They both seem to be within the same price range and a great starting point. And i know you are not saying i HAVE to get it...lol. You gave a great recommendation though. Its definetly on my list.
Last edited by markos on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

if you want bass the minitaur will eat the phatty and most other synths breakfast.
markos
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by markos »

tone-def wrote:if you want bass the minitaur will eat the phatty and most other synths breakfast.
Ships in the spring so looking forward to testing it out. might go with the slim phatty for now (since i'm probably going to be makin the build in mid feb).