monomachine + machinedrum saving patterns/kits

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

monomachine + machinedrum saving patterns/kits

Post by hydrogen »

ok... so i really like these machines but what drives me crazy is that the patterns/kits are saved separately. Both me and my good friend have decided "The dudes at Elektron are dicks for setting it up like this". Because the only reason for this "feature" is so you can lose your progress every time you change a pattern.

Any suggestions regarding workflow, saving songs/patterns/kits, etc on these two devices?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
omnipresence
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: monomachine + machinedrum saving patterns/kits

Post by omnipresence »

From memory, if you have it set to "extended" mode instead of "classic" it should link the saved kit and pattern. I pretty much always leave mine in extended mode.

That's for the MD though which has a dedicated button to switch between modes. Not sure about the MM.
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

It can be a bitch indeed. I might be wrong, but I think you can solve the problem with +drive?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

tsankip wrote:It can be a bitch indeed. I might be wrong, but I think you can solve the problem with +drive?
i guess with this you can just save out each song in a separate +drive partition. I'll look into that.

I just still can't get over the dependencies between the kit and the sounds themselves. Being a software developer this is certainly an interesting design problem and you can see the benefits but in practice it doesn't seem to be there. I sometimes feel the same way about presets, certain sound presets only sound good with certain notes so why not package a midi file with it. Then if you want to load one or the other provide a method to do so. Its probably more common to save a pattern with a kit than to save a pattern independently from a kit.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
djd_oz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djd_oz »

I don't think the +drive will solve your issue, all the +drive does is to take a snapshot of all your songs/pattern/kits and the sequencer stops when you change snapshots.

If I understand your issue correctly, say you are working on a pattern A01 with Kit1 and you make some changes to a few parameters, and when you change to say pattern A02 without saving Kit1 you lose your changes? All you need to do is to save your kit before changing patterns.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Having lots of fun with my MD at the moment. Liking it more and more everytime I jam with it.
There are some things that niggle away at me though like when I tweak a track only to realise that another track was selected. I seem to do that often.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I often factory reset my md. When I'm using it to think about tracks, I just copy/paste the whole of the patern across and save the kit. That's it, just create a pattern and save the kit in extended mode. Of course, you can always play the pattern in other kits saved. Just save the kit.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I want a monomachine now too, anyone selling? ( uk )