Why do you produce music?

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Why do you produce music?

Post by oblioblioblio »

although it is tricky. i think having a passion that you turn into an occupation is a valuable thing. i think that can be something that a child can learn from. to see a parent with a healthy life from being creatively satisfied. (of course I'm not talking about what your sister did, but what other parents could do)

bloody hard to do though, and keep it in balance, and pay the bills and fit everything else in though.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

oblioblioblio wrote:nice posts Hades.
thank you :oops:
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

oblioblioblio wrote:although it is tricky. i think having a passion that you turn into an occupation is a valuable thing. i think that can be something that a child can learn from. to see a parent with a healthy life from being creatively satisfied. (of course I'm not talking about what your sister did, but what other parents could do)

bloody hard to do though, and keep it in balance, and pay the bills and fit everything else in though.
yeah, I'm always jealous at people that were able to make a living from their passion.
But I wouldn't want to try and do this at any price and risk hurting my loved ones.

that balance thing, it's indeed a hard one.
My sister always spent too much time on her family, and not enough on her painting.
It was only when she got sick a few years ago she made an effort to regularly paint one or two days a week.
She should have done that ages ago.
I have one of her last paintings in my studio to remind me not to waste too much time in life on trivial non-important sh!t.

Thinking about her decisions, I think I would have acted excatly the same in her situation : trying to spend as much time as possible with your kids. I mean, that's gotta have been the hardest thing ever : realizing you gotta leave your kids behind at such an early age.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

About the TV thing: Pigeons destroyed my outside TV aerial a while back by congregating on it and shitting all over it. It now points downward and kinda hangs off the building. I need to get it fixed but I too haven't even missed any TV since, so haven't even got around to getting it looked at, plus if get levelled and fixed, it might attract the local pigeon posse again, who not only sh!t everywhere but also 'coo-coo' at like 5 in the morning non stop.

Much more interesting ways to occupy yourself. I have a large DVD collection so the TV does come on now and again but there's not a lot I pine for on it.
sTEVYsTEVE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sTEVYsTEVE »

Do you have a purpose for producing electronic music?
Express Myself somehow.

Do you want to be famous and rich?
Nope..just making a living in the industry would mean a lot to me.

Do you want to contribute some quality music to the scene?
I think that's the goal of every producer that totally burn for music, and that's in the indistry since a bit of time.
I would never release things that has been heard again, again and again.
I don't wanna see my name on a flyer or on beatport next to a logo of a digital label that release music every second and makes "autobuy" from the morning until the night as a sport.

Can you actually do with?
I can't say it. The other ones should "judge" and make comments on my music.

Do you (realistically) feel you can get somewhere professionally with your music?
Hope is so.

Is it good enough?
I've said that i don't judge my music.

Do you feel satisfied with the tracks you make?
When a track is finished sometimes, not often..but when you are making it, if your goal is to make something really special and different, there are a lot of hours of frustration in it.

Can you improve what its missing?
Step by step, whit tons of humility, and really opened to several comments.

Is making (good) electronic music a talent that can be developed or is it an artistic gift just a few have?
There are a lot of people which are more or less talented..but i think the talent is the smallest part of the opera..it depends on a lot of different things as the feelings that you "feel", how you lead your life..how you are smart, humble, presumptuous and ambitious at the same time, what is your approach to the production and what is your approach to djing, ecc..
and obviously moreover there has to be a bit of luck.
sTEVYsTEVE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sTEVYsTEVE »

Do you have a purpose for producing electronic music?
Express Myself somehow.

Do you want to be famous and rich?
Nope..just making a living in the industry would mean a lot to me.

Do you want to contribute some quality music to the scene?
I think that's the goal of every producer that totally burn for music, and that's in the indistry since a bit of time.
I would never release things that has been heard again, again and again.
I don't wanna see my name on a flyer or on beatport next to a logo of a digital label that release music every second and makes "autobuy" from the morning until the night as a sport.

Can you actually do with?
I can't say it. The other ones should "judge" and make comments on my music.

Do you (realistically) feel you can get somewhere professionally with your music?
Hope is so.

Is it good enough?
I've said that i don't judge my music.

Do you feel satisfied with the tracks you make?
When a track is finished sometimes, not often..but when you are making it, if your goal is to make something really special and different, there are a lot of hours of frustration in it.

Can you improve what its missing?
Step by step, whit tons of humility, and really opened to several comments.

Is making (good) electronic music a talent that can be developed or is it an artistic gift just a few have?
There are a lot of people which are more or less talented..but i think the talent is the smallest part of the opera..it depends on a lot of different things as the feelings that you "feel", how you lead your life..how you are smart, humble, presumptuous and ambitious at the same time, what is your approach to the production and what is your approach to djing, ecc..
and obviously moreover there has to be a bit of luck.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

AK wrote:About the TV thing: Pigeons destroyed my outside TV aerial a while back by congregating on it and shitting all over it. It now points downward and kinda hangs off the building. I need to get it fixed but I too haven't even missed any TV since, so haven't even got around to getting it looked at, plus if get levelled and fixed, it might attract the local pigeon posse again, who not only sh!t everywhere but also 'coo-coo' at like 5 in the morning non stop.

Much more interesting ways to occupy yourself. I have a large DVD collection so the TV does come on now and again but there's not a lot I pine for on it.
pigeons. such funny birds to watch, but such pain in the asses really. :lol:

me, I left my hometown for univ like 15 years ago,
and back then almost no students had cable tv, unless perhaps if you were staying in some bigger student campus-thing, which I wasn't (always hated mass stuff).
every weekend when I was back home, I got more and more irritated with how bad tv had become,
and basically, I never looked back.
It's not so much that I think tv is always sh!t, it's just that 90% of it is pure sh!t, and only 10% is maybe interesting.
Problem is, if you have tv, you're more than likely gonna be watching crap almost every night for at least half an hour, if not a lot more.
If you don't have it, there's tons of extra time to spend on stuff that's more fun.
"here we are now, entertain us" someone yelled a long time ago when I as a teenager, I guess the irony of that phrase got stuck in my head allright :lol:

the irony is that my parents told me that apparantly they never had tv either when we were kids, but that they were kind of "forced" to get tv when my oldest sister got back from school every day and was always complaining that she couldn't talk to her friends because they were all talking about what they'd seen on tv.
My oldest is 4 years old now, and isn't bothered at all by the fact that we don't have tv. She does have maybe 40 DVD's or so, and I never mind buying her another one since she probably has twice as much books as DVD's. It's still way more quality stuff than what she'd see on tv all day.
Sure she usually watches about half an hour to an hour of DVD a day, but I think compared to the amount of hours most kids are dropped in front of tv nowadays that's peanuts.
I'm still fearing the day she'll start nagging about getting tv. I'm hoping I might make her change her mind by getting a beamer for movie projecting in a year or so. That might keep her quiet for a few more years. :lol:
Problem is by then my favourite DVD-rental store will have gone out of business, and I'll be forced to get tv just to be able to watch enough quality films. But only when I get a hard-disk recorder so I can program it all and watch it later.
Thank god they invented that thing !
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Hades wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:although it is tricky. i think having a passion that you turn into an occupation is a valuable thing. i think that can be something that a child can learn from. to see a parent with a healthy life from being creatively satisfied. (of course I'm not talking about what your sister did, but what other parents could do)

yeah, I'm always jealous at people that were able to make a living from their passion.
But I wouldn't want to try and do this at any price and risk hurting my loved ones.

that balance thing, it's indeed a hard one.
My sister always spent too much time on her family, and not enough on her painting.
It was only when she got sick a few years ago she made an effort to regularly paint one or two days a week.
She should have done that ages ago.
I have one of her last paintings in my studio to remind me not to waste too much time in life on trivial non-important sh!t.

Thinking about her decisions, I think I would have acted excatly the same in her situation : trying to spend as much time as possible with your kids. I mean, that's gotta have been the hardest thing ever : realizing you gotta leave your kids behind at such an early age.

Family comes first all the time. It's the most imporant thing to me. I know a few people that completly gave up music when they had children. That means, no more making music or djing.

I would be miserable if I didnt make music. Lucky for me I have a very understanding girlfriend.