Dave Smith Evolver

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Dave Smith Evolver

Post by lem »

Hades wrote: And I've even had situations where I once bought a synth, sold it a year later cause it didn't fit into how I worked,
only to think 3 years later : damn, why the hell did I sell that synth, it'd be perfect now !! (-)
:lol:
:lol: :lol:
Yeah I am lucky I have never had such an experience. I have actually only just started selling stuff this year.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I did it, I bought one.
Kinda looking forward to having a new toy to play with over christmas. I'm hoping I can get better sounds out of it than in those demo's. Still a little bit worried that I just won't be as good as I hope...
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

no doubt you'll get better sounds out of it than the demo,
but as with most good gear, you probably need to invest time into it.
if you think you don't like it, don't sell it too soon.
give it some time, you might like it a lot more after spending a few months more with it.
it's a rather deep synth, so it will take you quite some time I think to properly "gel" or connect (or whatever you wanna call it) with it.

have fun, and keep us posted.
an evolver was always on my list, untill I tried out a prophet08.
I know they're quite different synths, but I liked the prophet08 a lot more.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Hades wrote:no doubt you'll get better sounds out of it than the demo,
but as with most good gear, you probably need to invest time into it.
if you think you don't like it, don't sell it too soon.
give it some time, you might like it a lot more after spending a few months more with it.
it's a rather deep synth, so it will take you quite some time I think to properly "gel" or connect (or whatever you wanna call it) with it.

have fun, and keep us posted.
an evolver was always on my list, untill I tried out a prophet08.
I know they're quite different synths, but I liked the prophet08 a lot more.
I'm not up for selling it too soon. Even if I don't like something I still seem to keep the bloody things forever until I can put the effort into selling it. I'm not using my sixtrak at the moment, definatly gonna sell it, but I know it will take me about a year to get off my ass and do it. By which time I will probably have some kind of new love for it!

I think the demo's of the mopho and the prophet make them sound much more musical than the evo. But I kinda like the weird that can come out of the Evo....
The 'analogue' osc's in the evo and prophet are the same arn't they? Possibly the filters are the same? Lacking the sub osc...

I think the issue with the Evo as it is assumed to be a 'noise' synth rather than an analogue. The demo's certainly make me think of it that way....
I will have to see what happens, and will let y'all know. Might post some samples on soundcloud or something....
twisted-space
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted-space »

Another evolver fan here. It can definitely be used for more "analog" sounds. The digital osc's can be used with a sine wave in a lower octave as a subosc. There is a whole bank of more traditional patches on the dsi site here:

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/dow ... g_Bank.syx

Some good examples to get you started.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Thanks for the reply twisted-space.

The analogue bank was very helpful.
I have been playing with it for a few weeks... and to be honest I am just not getting on with it. I probably should put more time into it, but it's time I haven't really got.
Does anyone want to buy one? Will do it for a good price... :(
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

lem wrote:Thanks for the reply twisted-space.

The analogue bank was very helpful.
I have been playing with it for a few weeks... and to be honest I am just not getting on with it. I probably should put more time into it, but it's time I haven't really got.
Does anyone want to buy one? Will do it for a good price... :(
isn't that a bit very quick ?
I mean, shouldn't you give both yourself and the evolver some more time ?
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I kno mate, i kno....

I got a phatty now I want to sell almost all my other gear. I'm going Buddhist!