Studio Monitor Upgrade

combination thread.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Studio Monitor Upgrade

Post by sorgenkind »

hNRk wrote:what do you consider a small room?

mine is probaly 5*5 m...
mine is 16.5 square meters, the previous one was almost 25 square meters.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

lem wrote:
A lot of people on here are gearslutting new soundcards, synths, drum machines and computers. But it means sh!t all if you can't hear whats going on properly.
absolutely, but that also means having a proper room. If your room is utter crap, it won't matter if you get fantastic monitors or not.
This is still a fact many people choose to ignore, unfortunately.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Hades wrote:
lem wrote:
A lot of people on here are gearslutting new soundcards, synths, drum machines and computers. But it means sh!t all if you can't hear whats going on properly.
absolutely, but that also means having a proper room. If your room is utter crap, it won't matter if you get fantastic monitors or not.
This is still a fact many people choose to ignore, unfortunately.
Fully with you on that one. Even so, having really good monitors is sometimes the encouragement needed to improve your room. Although, my new monitors perform sh!t loads better than my old KRK's even with an untreated room.
Stands are something not often mentioned, but a solid base for your monitors to sit on can make a massive difference.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

if stands really decouple the speakers from the floor yes, if not you'll have even more problems they'kk suck you energy from the speakers, making lowend thinner and less defined. beware of hollow metal pipes, of which most cheap stands are made of, they'll resonate and in worst case they'll vibrate and you'll hear the vibrations.
either you get good stands or you can build your own, at a fractions of the price: go to the hardware store and buy some bricks, then put some gum between speakers and bricks in oder to avoid scratches. if you buy hollow bricks, or if you go the DYI route with hollow metal pipes, better fill them with sand to stop resonating.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

sorgenkind wrote:if stands really decouple the speakers from the floor yes, if not you'll have even more problems they'kk suck you energy from the speakers, making lowend thinner and less defined. beware of hollow metal pipes, of which most cheap stands are made of, they'll resonate and in worst case they'll vibrate and you'll hear the vibrations.
either you get good stands or you can build your own, at a fractions of the price: go to the hardware store and buy some bricks, then put some gum between speakers and bricks in oder to avoid scratches. if you buy hollow bricks, or if you go the DYI route with hollow metal pipes, better fill them with sand to stop resonating.
yes that helps. i´m too lazy for DIY so i got me the primacoustic recoil thingys. helps to reduce the vibration through my desk they sit on. means better and more defined sound in the low end.
i got me the focal solo 6 which i upgraded from the yamaha a7. my room is 5*4 meters so i didnt want big speakers. the 6,5" focals are perfect. the sound is not so exaggerated in the high freqs than the adams. but they took longer to burn in as the adams. i was a bit surprised and thought they sound sh!t (after 2 weeks) but after 4 weeks it got better and better. my personal alternative from specs and sound would have been the dynaudio 6bma mkII.
choice for those speaker was the small size and they still hit the 40hz cause i dont want to use a subwoofer (not so easy to install and not so easy for the neighbours).
techno made me do it
luco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by luco »

tone-def wrote:but you can't make electronic music without them.
(-) what...c'mon, u can't believe the change will be noticable c'mon,it's just pushin air jeeze -boom
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

sorgenkind wrote:if stands really decouple the speakers from the floor yes, if not you'll have even more problems they'kk suck you energy from the speakers, making lowend thinner and less defined. beware of hollow metal pipes, of which most cheap stands are made of, they'll resonate and in worst case they'll vibrate and you'll hear the vibrations.
I got a pair of Zaor iso stands.
They weren't exactly cheap, but I really like 'em.
Many of the stands are hardly adjustable in hight, and don't look very stable at all, to be honest. Not to mention the fact they usually look horrible.
Even though the stands should be isolating enough, I still got a pair of recoils inbetween my focals and the stands though.
I honestly think the recoils are a great way to improve the sound of your monitors in a very easy way.
and if you have smaller monitors, it doesn't cost too much to get a pair.
it did however hurt me when I paid for a new pair of recoils for my focals since they are put in landscape view, and those bigger models of recoils are rather pricey.

http://www.studio-furniture.com/stands_isostand.html
markos
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by markos »

To be honest, if you already have a set of 8" monitors why not go for a smaller size set for A/B purposes? It's always good to hear your stuff on different size monitors. Keep what you had and add to your set up. The Yamaha's are great speakers!