The importance of the room you mix in.

- ask away
luco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: The importance of the room you mix in.

Post by luco »

mixing tracks can be done in phones with excellent results.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

luco wrote:mixing tracks can be done in phones with excellent results.

It's not ideal though and you have to make compromises. There are certain things which become apparent once you have tried mixing on headphones and then listen back through monitors. The most common things that spring to mind and from my own experience is a lack of stereo image, with headphones you tend to think things are panned too wide and then tendency is to reduce that width, then, when listened to over loudspears, it can come over and too mono/middly. Also, with efx ( esp. reverb ) you can think you are over doing things when actually you're not, and the effect over loudpeakers can seem as though the mix is too dry and one dimensional. If you know what to look out for you can get a balance in these areas but I personally think bass is tricky because you don't feel the vibration through the body, it's just 'there' in the middle of your head.

If you have been using good headphones for a while and know what to look out for, you could get along ok but for me personally, I having a burning desire to get back to my monitors ASAP.
Pigeon Provider
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Pigeon Provider »

AK wrote:

It's not ideal though and you have to make compromises. There are certain things which become apparent once you have tried mixing on headphones and then listen back through monitors. The most common things that spring to mind and from my own experience is a lack of stereo image, with headphones you tend to think things are panned too wide and then tendency is to reduce that width, then, when listened to over loudspears, it can come over and too mono/middly. Also, with efx ( esp. reverb ) you can think you are over doing things when actually you're not, and the effect over loudpeakers can seem as though the mix is too dry and one dimensional. If you know what to look out for you can get a balance in these areas but I personally think bass is tricky because you don't feel the vibration through the body, it's just 'there' in the middle of your head.

If you have been using good headphones for a while and know what to look out for, you could get along ok but for me personally, I having a burning desire to get back to my monitors ASAP.
Pardon my French on this one dudes, but fck headphones. Yes you can mix on headphones, problem is its about as enjoyable as licking juice from the snatch of an aging tramp.

In regards to treating a room, the idea is too treat it , not kill it . Soundproofing is probably more desirable in most situations, every pad I have dwelt in , I had complaints about noise, I need to feel the vibe and enjoy producing or I just turn off the computer.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

steevio wrote: its usually quite easy to tell if you've got a problem if you have windows, the window will vibrate if you are hitting a resonant frequency on an axis perpendicular to the window.
a bit off topic but you should invest in some double glazing. :D
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:
steevio wrote: its usually quite easy to tell if you've got a problem if you have windows, the window will vibrate if you are hitting a resonant frequency on an axis perpendicular to the window.
a bit off topic but you should invest in some double glazing. :D
i would bruv if i wasnt renting and moving out in a years time.
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

yes,without a doubt....BUT you have to know what you're doing and you need A LOT experience to do proper mixes on cans......i know some of the ruling artist in the hard/techno Drum N Bass scene personaly and i know that this guy http://soundcloud.com/tim-e-aka-current-value is doin some good mixes just on phones but he's doin' music since years,so he can trust his ears and feelings
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

In my case i did my own homemade acoustic panels, ceiling cloud and bass traps, and music sounds really better now. I think it's the most important thing you have to get right before trying to make music. How good are your very expensive speakers if the room is lying to you? Of course if you know the weak points of your room you can always mix having that in mind but if you have a square room, acoustic treatment is the best option. 8)
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

Mixing dance music with headphones is a really great way to fck up your hearing. Don't do it.