After some new headphones. Suggestions?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

After some new headphones. Suggestions?

Post by AK »

I write a lot of music late at night and at that time, I will always use headphones because of the neighbours, mine though, seem to have died after I dropped em on the floor. They weren't particularly expensive and I've had them for a while but I have been considering getting a decent pair for an improved listening experience. I'm not THAT fussed about mixing on them so don't want to go berserk on cost but something decent that will qualify for reference standard should I want it, is what I'm after. I have a monitoring loudspeaker set-up so I'm not solely after a headphones monitoring solution specifically.

So far I have narrowed it down by a little research and these are what I'm currently considering: ( Not necessarily in order )

1. KRK KNS 8400. I'm unable to find a review of them. http://www.krksys.com/krk-headphones/kns-8400.html

2. Beyerdynamic DT 770. SOS had a good review of them. But I can't find any comparisons with the KRK's.

3. Audio Technica ATH-M50. Heard good reports on these too and a bit cheaper than those other two.

Any thoughts on these, is one pair significantly better than the other? I'm not going much further than this type of budget, so thse are what seem to be best within that price range from what I can gather.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: After some new headphones. Suggestions?

Post by Stomper »

Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

i went through a lot of headphones and have a nice collection now (AT's,AKG's,Sennheiser just to name a few)but since i got the Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro i don't really use the others no more because the 990 are the best phones i've ever used so far in the price range around 200 Euro's....
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I know there are better ones out there than the ones I mentioned but I'm not looking to get some as a replacement to my loudspeaker set up, just for decent pair to work with them. Cheers anyway, I'm going to have to rush into this and get some this afternoon or I'm fecked co's mine are knackered and I do a lot of music at night co's of my job.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I havent used the audio technica ones, i have my douts about the krk ones, but have experience with dt770's. I dont own them but a friend of mine does and I know they are very robust, sound excellent and last forever.

he has had the same pair since they came out. (80s?)
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

One negative to the DT770's is they are quite heavy, might be a bit fatigueing over long sessions.
Good like with what ever you get!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Thanks, I think the DT770's are what I'm going to get. They seem to fit the bill and a lot of what I've read suggests there's not a lot to fault. I need something pretty damn quick so I need to get on the phone to see if DV have them in stock before I go over there. If they don't I'm going to have to ask what they have got and go back to looking them up on the net.

[edit] They're in stock anyway so I'm having them ( the 80 -Ohm version )
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Good choice mate, hope you enjoy them!