interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

- ask away
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I have not seen a Mosaic record in a very long time. I didn't think they make records any more... perhaps they don't. I remember I really liked one of O'Sullivan's releases on there. Can't remember which one. Would have to look. Was housey though no doubt.I didn't know they had dubby releases... I would have followed more closely.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:I mean, generally in music, especially electronic music much of the magic is generated by the listener. Maybe that little thing is triggering something deep that needs to be explored. Who knows... but maybe he is on to something... that is how most discoveries are made. People get feelings about things and explore them.
very true! somehow i just feel trying to get to precise on a result isn't the greatest way to go. But you do have a really good point, for example read at what happened to BLM doing the same thing. :) anyways... i really like hearing the different perspectives that everyone has here. the diversity of everyone's experiences and expressions seem really nice.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

they have amazing dub records, for starters

MCSPL03, MOSAIC001, MOSAIC034, MOSAIC035
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Pretty much all of their catalogue is fantastic. I still play all the Steve o Sullivan ones now.

I do think it's understandable why people want to know how to make these sounds. When I first started all I did was try and find out how certain producers made a certain sound. I also remember asking producers that I liked at the time how they did certain sounds.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

the metallic sounds in the track just sound like a filter delay on the high frequencies of the minor, 5th chord. i dig the track but there is so much stuff out there that sounds exactly like this. alot of this stuff is really simple music, mainly works because of the artist riding the mixer and delay filter parameters throughout the track to keep it interesting.

i do however agree with luco, to me this is throwback music and doesn't really represent what's possible in the current state of computer music making

but yeah, i doubt any of the track was intentional, most likely the producer just tweaked around til it happened
Last edited by NoAffiliation on Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

NoAffiliation wrote:the metallic sounds in the track just sound like a filter delay on the high frequencies of the minor 5th chord.
There's no such thing as a minor 5th, ( perfect 5th? ) You can have a diminished/flattened 5th, but a minor 5th chord doesn't exist. Sorry to say that but I am a pedantic arsehole :lol: . There's nothing extraordinary going on in this track, it is what it is.
Last edited by AK on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

AK wrote:
NoAffiliation wrote:the metallic sounds in the track just sound like a filter delay on the high frequencies of the minor 5th chord.
There's no such thing as a minor 5th, ( perfect 5th? ) You can have a diminished/flattened 5th, but a minor 5th chord doesn't exist. Sorry to say that but I am a pedantic arsehole :lol: . There's nothing extraordinary going on in this track, it is what it is.
sorry dude, i know that. i just meant a fifth and that the chord sounded minor to me that's all. thank you for using my fast and concise typing on the internet forum to expose my lack of musical knowledge to everyone ;) (*)

i am also a pedantic asshole for the record, cheers

i like this type of music and most of my friends are crazy over this stuff but it just all sounds the same to me. i appreciate the use of depth in this style of music with recorded noise and delays, it's very pretty and soothing and of course all subjective like my first comment about it. i like my dance music a bit more primal, the kind that makes bitches want to do huge rails of blow and shake their nice little arses.
bkm1978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bkm1978 »

Alright Dub chord fiends!lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVEa9d1ZLPE

Love this tune and the dubby chords that come in at 1:20 and then continue on, those almost muted ones??
They have to be a specific synth right?? Such a classic Dub sound.
Or am I wrong?