mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Benji Hayes »

pistachio......well actually every release has been awsome
robert lowell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by robert lowell »

rad.. thanks for the good read. the colour series is rockn'.
dArk_being
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dArk_being »

nice interview...
thx
mnml music = mxml remedy
Lebens
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lebens »

Great man, great interview! :D
Musik ist das Licht ihres Lebens!

www.myspace.com/koenlebens
diefenwald
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by diefenwald »

I like your Sound !!!! Donna :-)

Thx for these Words !

Greetz
simondodson
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by simondodson »

rockin
<i><b>Sometimes you get so alone, It just makes sense.</b></i>
-
.//simondodson.com
.//myspace.com/switchkid
minimise
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

UP TO DATE INTERVIEW ;-)

Post by minimise »

Here is a recent interview donnacha completed for a russian magazine. It's online but only in russian so here is the english version.

MINIMISE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Donnacha. Thanks for your time! Whatís up and where are you right now?

Hi, I’m in my studio, tidying up and installing some new equipment.

Almost a year after your triumphant Color series, youíve released your 6 x 6=36 series of 3 EPs.

Actually the colorseries started in January 2004 and ended later that year so it’s 2 years since that finished and about three years since I started work on the idea so I feel I’ve moved on quite a bit from there mentally.

Whatís the idea of this series and what were you inspired with while creating?

Well, my schedule has become a lot busier these days and I wasn’t getting enough time in the studio so before the summer craziness started I decided to knuckle down and try to complete a specific project. The idea of doing six tracks of six minutes duration each had been going around in my head for a while. Then I decided it would be really interesting to try to make these six tracks in just six days so that’s what I did.

I was inspired by my recent experiences, my own aesthetics and by the total confinement and punishing work schedule in the studio for six days

The title ‘6X6=36’ refers also to the first exhibition by artists from the constructivist movement in early 20th century Russia. This exhibition had the title ‘5x5=25’

What equipment was used while composing tracks?

PRO-TOOLS HD2 ACCEL + various hardware synthesisers/drumboxes

Do you or are you planning to participate in any co-projects with other musicians?
Who with?

Not at the moment. To be honest I don’t really enjoy collaboration so much.

Who or What inspires you when you produce new music? Friends (or probably, you
prefer not to see anybody in your studio), or maybe a book or a movie?

It’s really hard to say where inspiration comes from. I think just about everything that happens in my life, small or big, contributes to how I feel when I sit down to work.

How about your Minimise label? What music can we expect in the near future? How do you select music to release?

We have an incredible new artist from Hungary called ‘Cornell’, he has two releases coming out early in 2007 We also have new music from Alejandro Lopez and more from me. We are also working on some other projects which I won’t mention yet.

minimise.com seems to be a bit set aside? Any plans to bring it back to life?

:-) Yes definitely. We have somebody working on this at the moment.

What about electronic music life in Ireland? Are there any new names which should be mentioned?

I’m a bit out of touch with what’s happening here. I don’t live near the city and if I happen to be home on the weekend, I would rather spend time with my wife than go to a club so I’m afraid I don’t know the names too well. Of course we have our own Dublin artists on minimise, David Donohoe and Educution.

How often do you play in public this year? What performance do you find significant and worth to remember?

I played a LOT this year already and I’ll be playing now every weekend until Christmas so it’s very busy. My most memorable gig this year was playing to tens of thousands at Creamfields, Andalucia, Spain just before Ricardo Villalobos.

Playing at the labyrinth festival in Japan was also a very memorable experience.

Lives or DJ-sets? Whatís more attractive to you and how do you look for new music for your sets?

I like both. I don’t DJ very often but next year I plan to DJ a lot more.

Can we some time expect your mixed CD?

Possibly :-)

The destiny of Minimal is one of the favorite subjects for discussion nowadays.
Can minimal die soon? What music can move it from its front position?

I don’t worry about this. I have done my kind of music for a long time and I’ll continue to do my own thing regardless of what happens. I don’t even think about the term ‘minimal’, I just do what I do.

What do you think about the present state of electronic music in Europe?

Stronger than ever. Incredible.

Being a diversely gifted person, have you wanted to try (to express)
yourself in any other art? Painting for example.

I have exhibited paintings in the past, it’s something I’m interested in. However, at the moment there is no time to do anything except work on music, look after the label and travel.

If you had a chance to write a soundtrack for a movie, what movie
would it be and/or maybe youíd like to work with a particular director?

I have already soundtracked some short films and have been involved in a Hollywood project. However, I would like to soundtrack a Hal Hartley movie more than anything.

What kind of music do you prefer to listen at home or in your car?

In the last few days I have been listening to Orbital, , O.M.D. , Phil Collins, Biosphere.

Have you ever heard of any Russian musicians and Russian music in general?

The only Russian musician I know is Ivan Pavlov who records as Coh, he’s excellent! I don’t know Russian music so well but I’m a huge fan of early 20th century Russian art, Rodchenko, Tatlin, Malevich, Gabo, Pvesner and others.

When will we have a chance to see and hear you in Russia?

Some time in 2007. I have offers to come to Moscow in January but I don’t know if I could stand the cold! I hope to come in the warmer months ;-)

Thank you very much for your time and interview, Donnacha!

You are very welcome, thank you for your support!
filthypitcher
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by filthypitcher »

That first interview is over 2 years old. Hardly an exclusive?