Post by Rein »

:lol:
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Making Groovy beats

Post by Hades »

tHEfAKEsTEVE wrote:
First of all i don't think that using loops means to sound like every producer out on beatport..wtf?
well, it does no doubt make many of them sound very similar, and you won't hear any original sounds if they come from a sample pack anyone has free access too.
tHEfAKEsTEVE wrote: I think that using loop nowadays is an art, there are a million think u can do starting with/using a loop.
Not everyone knows how to make a loop sound in a track.
yes you can do a lot of things with loops.
but you can do a hell of a lot more with synths or samplers when you make your own patches, sample your own sounds (instead of just loading up prefab samples), post-process them and resample,...
maybe not everyone knows how to use a loop properly in a track, but with the quality of loops and sample packs nowadays it just gets easier and easier for far too many to have a result they'd never have achieved if they were trying to make these all by themselves.
you can't deny that making your own loops, sounds,... is usually gonna be a far more creative process than if you use prefab stuff.
you could also say "maybe not everyone knows how to use a synth or drum computer properly".
maybe that's why they use sample packs and loops constantly... :?
tHEfAKEsTEVE wrote: Moreover, anyone of us is searching or have a STYLE, which means that anyone of us have different skills and different ways of doin things..there are a lot of producer that make song with ready made loops and u can clearly understand who made that one. Carlo lio is the example.
this is exactly the problem.
there's a very small chance that you'll ever develop or discover your own style if you only use prefab stuff.
You're just gonna use things in a certain style, hence you're imitating a style and not trying to find your own thing.
If that's what you wanna do, then fine.
Problem is by making the whole music making process so much easier, a lot of lazy people start doing this for the wrong reasons (money and/or women). If it would be harder, those people would just not have enough patience and finally drop out. Now they just release crappy stuff.
tHEfAKEsTEVE wrote:
Otherwise I THINK that USING OR NOT A LOOP in a project doesn't mean so much..WHAT'S REALLY IMPORTANT IS THE RESULT.
It all depends on how you use the loop, problem is a lot (if not most) just use loops in a very uninspired way, and you can tell by listening to the result.
usually, if I hear a track with almost no melodic development going on, and very familiar sounds (for instance a lot of the tech-house) stuff, I presume it's a lot of prefab.
If the result is all that counts, what about creativity ?
you're not doing this because you feel the need to be creative ?
no need to express yourself ?
only because you want to get a track that gets you gigs ?

Call me old fashioned, I don't care, but I prefer a good old home-cooked meal to some prefab packs of food thrown together, no matter how tasty the packs that he/she used are.
It makes me respect the cook more too. 8)
tHEfAKEsTEVE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tHEfAKEsTEVE »

Hades wrote:
tHEfAKEsTEVE wrote:
First of all i don't think that using loops means to sound like every producer out on beatport..wtf?
well, it does no doubt make many of them sound very similar, and you won't hear any original sounds if they come from a sample pack anyone has free access too.
tHEfAKEsTEVE wrote: I think that using loop nowadays is an art, there are a million think u can do starting with/using a loop.
Not everyone knows how to make a loop sound in a track.
yes you can do a lot of things with loops.
but you can do a hell of a lot more with synths or samplers when you make your own patches, sample your own sounds (instead of just loading up prefab samples), post-process them and resample,...
maybe not everyone knows how to use a loop properly in a track, but with the quality of loops and sample packs nowadays it just gets easier and easier for far too many to have a result they'd never have achieved if they were trying to make these all by themselves.
you can't deny that making your own loops, sounds,... is usually gonna be a far more creative process than if you use prefab stuff.
you could also say "maybe not everyone knows how to use a synth or drum computer properly".
maybe that's why they use sample packs and loops constantly... :?
tHEfAKEsTEVE wrote: Moreover, anyone of us is searching or have a STYLE, which means that anyone of us have different skills and different ways of doin things..there are a lot of producer that make song with ready made loops and u can clearly understand who made that one. Carlo lio is the example.
this is exactly the problem.
there's a very small chance that you'll ever develop or discover your own style if you only use prefab stuff.
You're just gonna use things in a certain style, hence you're imitating a style and not trying to find your own thing.
If that's what you wanna do, then fine.
Problem is by making the whole music making process so much easier, a lot of lazy people start doing this for the wrong reasons (money and/or women). If it would be harder, those people would just not have enough patience and finally drop out. Now they just release crappy stuff.
tHEfAKEsTEVE wrote:
Otherwise I THINK that USING OR NOT A LOOP in a project doesn't mean so much..WHAT'S REALLY IMPORTANT IS THE RESULT.
It all depends on how you use the loop, problem is a lot (if not most) just use loops in a very uninspired way, and you can tell by listening to the result.
usually, if I hear a track with almost no melodic development going on, and very familiar sounds (for instance a lot of the tech-house) stuff, I presume it's a lot of prefab.
If the result is all that counts, what about creativity ?
you're not doing this because you feel the need to be creative ?
no need to express yourself ?
only because you want to get a track that gets you gigs ?

Call me old fashioned, I don't care, but I prefer a good old home-cooked meal to some prefab packs of food thrown together, no matter how tasty the packs that he/she used are.
It makes me respect the cook more too. 8)

"Then i'll let the cretivity play its rule.
It depends by what i wanna get too. You could add a piano, or a dark synth line, or a guitar.
Anyhow don't make track just to make a track, but to make THE TRACK. There's gonna be something special in it."

Read all the conversation before write.
Barfunkel moved a critic about using the loop in a track and then i answered.
As u wrote, u seems to have understood that i was talkin about to make a track with just prefab loops.
NO NO my friend!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I'm not sue quite what you're getting at tHEfAKEsTEVE, but please respect the fact that a lot of guys on here are absolutely capable of making the loops that you are on about. It's not a 'secret' thing bro, even I can whack those up in headphones mate, it's not rocket science, it's just silly and piss easy.

A lot of us write our own music on here, and we make and design our own sounds ( there's often conflict over even that but hey! ) It is what it is and we are what we are, but how is it ever making music if you are joining loops?. -squint
tHEfAKEsTEVE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tHEfAKEsTEVE »

AK wrote:I'm not sue quite what you're getting at tHEfAKEsTEVE, but please respect the fact that a lot of guys on here are absolutely capable of making the loops that you are on about. It's not a 'secret' thing bro, even I can whack those up in headphones mate, it's not rocket science, it's just silly and piss easy.

A lot of us write our own music on here, and we make and design our own sounds ( there's often conflict over even that but hey! ) It is what it is and we are what we are, but how is it ever making music if you are joining loops?. -squint
Ok, i say that is not a rocket science too, but why u don't have to join a loop if it sounds good in your track? -.-
What's wrong with that?
I find that if something sounds good than it is good..this doesn't mean that i make track just with loop, i made a lot of track without using any kind of loop and making my own stuff.
I think that great artists do masterpieces, not because they're not joining loop, BUT just because they write good ideas, they write something special that could be vocals, strings, pianos, xylophone or whatever that sounds like anything else.
That's it.
If u make a pop song and u start to do it with a loop, that's called MAKING MUSIC too.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

tHEfAKEsTEVE wrote:
I did read all the conversation.
perhaps I was wrong with presuming you use only or mainly loops, but with the shape of your English sometimes, that's bound to happen.

if you use a loop once in a while and use it creatively, and that's what you mean,
if it actually advances your creativity, then hey go ahead.

but if it's just for making up for lack of skills and/or creativity, then I think it stinks.

but of course, anyone can do whatever they please, it's a free world (or so they make us believe) :lol:
tHEfAKEsTEVE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tHEfAKEsTEVE »

Hades wrote:
tHEfAKEsTEVE wrote:
I did read all the conversation.
perhaps I was wrong with presuming you use only or mainly loops, but with the shape of your English sometimes, that's bound to happen.

if you use a loop once in a while and use it creatively, and that's what you mean,
if it actually advances your creativity, then hey go ahead.

but if it's just for making up for lack of skills and/or creativity, then I think it stinks.

but of course, anyone can do whatever they please, it's a free world (or so they make us believe) :lol:
"if you use a loop once in a while and use it creatively, and that's what you mean,
if it actually advances your creativity, then hey go ahead."
That's what i mean.
My english sucks, i know. ahah
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

AK wrote:I'm not sure quite what you're getting at tHEfAKEsTEVE

I'm not quite sure either.
I mean, I think he basically means :
"it's ok to use loops, if it's not the only stuff you use. If you use it to spice up a good idea, that's fine but of course it's not good to write whole tracks with"
but he's not exactly great at putting his thoughts into words.