Music PC for Production

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Music PC for Production

Post by lem »

I wouldnt buy w7 from pc world. unless its the cheapest, just find an oem version from the store you get your components from.

I recommend ebuyer, really helpful, quick delivery and good prices.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

lem wrote:I wouldnt buy w7 from pc world. unless its the cheapest, just find an oem version from the store you get your components from.

I recommend ebuyer, really helpful, quick delivery and good prices.
Thumbs up to that, I got the OEM (and all my other computer components) from Ebuyer.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

most impressive delivery options i have ever seen. you can order before 11pm and get it the next morning!
ideal if you are an IT professional.
dyte
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dyte »

I'd recommend ebuyer too :)
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

@BLM You crazy...

At the very least the second monitor is nice for visuals while you work... take a break from your main screen and look at something interesting and refreshing for a bit. Its like having a little gallery to look at as time goes by. I have lots of rotating images of fractals, beaches, art, outer space, women, architecture and just about anything else that might inflame my imagination.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

[quote="lem"]
I agree about workflow, it was useful for plugins. i dont use many 3rd party plugins anymore and find abletons one window system really useful.

[quote]

I remember a few years ago I was in the market for a bigger screen to hook up to my laptop.
I took my macbook to a media market to try out a few screens.
problem was Live didn't have the "zoom" function yet, so it basically didn't help at all to get a bigger screen, since I would've been staring at these really tiny clips and instrument racks. (good thing I tried it out, or I wouldn't even have known this) :lol:
I ended up walking out with nothing.
untill of course Live incorporated the zoom function. I got myself a nice 24", and never regretted that.
I don't even use my laptop screen as a 2nd screen. 24" is big enough for me for everything.
Last edited by Hades on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

another very important thing if you want to use Live is the speed of your HD
Live takes almost everything directly from disk, so you need to take the fastest HD you can get your hands on.

and 4Gb of RAM is enough, but if you can get 8 or 16, why not ?
it's usually not Live that's eating up your RAM, but the external VST's that you run in Live.

over the years, a lot of these VST's have been using bigger and bigger sample libraries.
I remember when I first started using softsynths, 4Gb was considered rather big, 8G was massive.
Now stuff like Omnisphere uses a library of about 80Gb, if I'm not mistaken. Same thing for Kontakt.
Nowadays that's not really a problem with TB HD's, but when I bought my last laptop, the only 7200rpm HD available for a macbook pro was 200Gb, so after 2 years, it was completely filled with Omnisphere and NI Komplete.
I changed it to a 500Gb as soon as one was being sold for mac that had 7200rpm.

So honestly, since HD space isn't really an issue anymore, there's only 2 main things to look for if you want to use Live :
1. get as much RAM as you reasonably can
2. get the fastest rpm HD you can find

and of course the normal things to consider : if you're using an external soundcard, then consider how it communicates with your PC.
For instance, if you're gonna use a soundcard on firewire, then don't forget to install firewire on your PC if you're making one yourself. Might seem obvious, but it's usually the most obvious things one overlooks.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

and I honestly don't want to start a mac vs PC debate, but consider getting a macbook instead of a PC.
I switched to mac about 5 years ago after the Xth frustrating experience, and I never ever regretted that choice.
In fact, I should have done it years before.
everything is so much easier with a mac.
It's the PC for dummies, in a way. :lol:

I can understand how people say that mac charges tons for their stuff, but I'll happily pay the extra cash for my peace of mind and an easy workflow.
Plus, macs don't have to cost tons either.
I give private Ableton lessons, and for that purpose I bought 2 extra laptops for my students.
I bought both used, and paid around 400 euro's for each (and that was a few years ago so I'm guessing prices might even be cheaper now).
They've both been working fine for years.