Piano DIY

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Piano DIY

Post by AK »

I was gonna ask the question about a weighted controller too, also, what about the synth being controlled? Is it going to benefitial to any degree in terms of timbre/velocity sensitivity and whatever else is assigned to velocity?

And, also, the aspect of genre! Would such sensitivity actually be necessary for a mix which ( presumably ) is Techno orientainted?

It's an interesting concet/project but one which ponders the question about whether the results jusify to the time/effort/expense? I hate to put downers on stuff but these are valid questions.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

you guys
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i misunderstood the original poster, the guy i was talking about basically rewired a piano so that you could play it with a computer, all the velocities, hammers and damping are sequenced/controlled from a software patch. i think that's pretty interesting but i wouldn't be able to do it myself.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

oblioblioblio wrote:i misunderstood the original poster, the guy i was talking about basically rewired a piano so that you could play it with a computer, all the velocities, hammers and damping are sequenced/controlled from a software patch. i think that's pretty interesting but i wouldn't be able to do it myself.
actually i don't think that's true... but it was definitely some kind of interesting use of a piano.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Which is it? I had an image of a piano just acting as a midi controller?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

the OP was talking about using a piano as a midi controller. The guy I was recommending did something weird with a paino, which I think was basically playing the insides and live sampling it, probably with granular stuff and other things. BUt if I recall correctly there was some mechanical interaction happening where the computer could control the piano.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Hehe the project is very hypothetical. I'm not planning on doing this tomorrow but it's fun to vent ideas about it still. And your questions are good things to think about.

Since the project isn't actually thought out there are no answers to you'r questions though.

Think of it like this, what a lot of midikeyboards lack is the actual mechanics. This would be a way of acually getting that. Like an old electric piano that hits metal instead of strings, this could be something simliar. As for size if you actually build you'r synth into the piano it wouldnt have to take up more space then your average modular system or bigger size synth (ofc it would prolly would be less moveable then other systems).

How the synth/instrument would react to the mechanics like velocity and stuff is ofc up to what kind of insturment you decide to put this thing together with. But if you build a new instrument for it it could ofc be built to respond in alot of different ways depending on how the user plays the keys.

My piano experience is I've taken lessons in classic-piano, never got to a ok level though, played a few things by Bach, Jan Johansson, Beethoven and Mozart. The usual stuff. My intrest in this idea is not actually as a player more as an instrumentbuilder/developer.

PS. When it comes to the sound of pianos this, saying they sound great is just wrong. I've played/heard people play on standup pianos that sound sh!t. There are a ton of cheap ones around that have not gotten the care they deserve and getting them to sound good as pianos again is alot of times very expensive.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

i think the fun part of cheap pianos is finding one that isn't perfect soundwise or technically speaking, but has a certain feel to it. if you mic up these pianos you can get very nice sounds out off them, even if most notes are out of tune. alot of fun to experiment with :D

can be very hard tho to record a piano in a nice way