novation drum station

- ask away
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

novation drum station

Post by Rein »

saw one on the web for a good price... anyone knows if it's any good? how is the sound compared to the 808 and 909?
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: novation drum station

Post by Barfunkel »

It's ok but nothing a bunch of samples wouldn't do. I'd much rather get an MPC or an Octatrack and load up a bunch of 909/808 samples, if getting the real deal is not possible.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I saw a cheap one of these a while back but was told I would find it disappointing compromise. The prices are dirt cheap though so you aren't really putting too much hard earned cash away should you not like it.

I haven't had first hand experience of it but I have a liking for the company, I bought a used Super Bass Station rack ages ago and got in touch with Novation who sent me a free original manual and replacement buttons.

Have you considered something like the Airbase 99 as an alternative to this?
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

i can get ok results with decent samples but i noticed that my vermona drm1 kicks sound much more alive. so i think that a 909 can really do some damage. the airbase looks good, but costs about the same as a 909, so that makes it difficult to decide.
Last edited by Rein on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I rarely see a TR-909 for under a grand, the Airbase 99 I have seen for around £300 but not that much more?
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

AK wrote:I rarely see a TR-909 for under a grand, the Airbase 99 I have seen for around £300 but not that much more?
my bad, i googled the airbase and the site said they go for about 900 pounds.

how would you describe the sound of the unit?
Barfunkel wrote:It's ok but nothing a bunch of samples wouldn't do. I'd much rather get an MPC or an Octatrack and load up a bunch of 909/808 samples, if getting the real deal is not possible.
i've got a ni maschine which i really like, so i'm not considering another sampler at the moment...
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I haven't owned either, I asked a question some time ago ( I think it was on Gearslutz? ) re: the Drumstation and a fair few people recommended the Airbase99 over it as a better alternative. There might be someone on here who has actually used both units and can give you a better idea than I can, I was merely throwing another option in there for you to consider.

I've ended up with a Machinedrum - which I really like but I'm still considering something additional for kicks, when I was pondering over the Airbase99 or Drum Station, I actually ended up getting a pile of Korg Electribes, an ER1mk2, EA1mk2 and an EMX1 but I didn't really get along with the ER1mk2 ( the drum machine ) and quickly sold it on. I'm pretty happy at the minute with just the Machinedrum and samples, as far as drums go, it's the best thing I have ever got and if I need or want other kicks, I'm content with samples.

The Drumstation seems to be around for not a lot of cash though so hey, try and check out the sounds, if you like them, why not? I doubt you'd lose money if you sold it on.
gosh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gosh »

I have a drumstation v1, an 808 and a machinedrum. F8cK I guess I'm a lucky sod but there you go.

The novation I picked up because I was thinking of selling my 808 and I grabbed it really cheap. For it's price it's really not too bad at all. It sounds pretty damn good. Yes, goldbaby 808 samples will probably sound a little better but then goldbaby samples require mapping to a sampler, and then they lack the immediate tweakability of the drumstation sounds.

Of course when I compare the 808 and the dstation I can notice a difference but it's not huge. The bass doesn't thump as much and the snares don't snap but chuck a decent compressor on them and they sound good. The drumstation has excellent versatility though - it can do some funky things with velocity and mod-wheel mods and every parameter is midi controllable. It also has a 909 emulation of course.
All of this in a solid, reliable 1U case is the reason I keep mine despite having a real 808 and machinedrum. It just doesn't make sense to get rid of it. I sequence the drumstation with my cirklon and it rules. 808/909 for taking out the house in a 4U space.

I'd say grab one and have a play - for the price they aren't bad and they are a usefull bit of kit to have around.