What DID Richie Hawtin actually do?

- open
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: What DID Richie Hawtin actually do?

Post by Del »

ChrisCV wrote:being able to beatmatch doesn't make you creative.

can't believe the kind of furore this has caused...
there's far more important and interesting things to worry/protest/fight against
I can believe it caused this kind of furore. Of course it's not the most important thing in the world to worry about, I don't believe that anybody thinks that it is, but if you're going to make such a comment for public display I don't think it's such a problem that people may of taken 1 minute out of their day to respond on facebook. The reaction was simply a reflection to what was seen as arrogance and ignorance and a lack of respect from Hawtin. What other reaction was to be expected? I think it's understandable that vinyl lovers would take offence at such comments and were happy give their say back... Obviously compelled to do so by the same motivations that led Hawtin to write it in the first place.

Also, I might add that the perceived animosity didn't come directly from that one post on facebook. It was obviously a build up of collective frustration that has been stirring within the techno scene since.... well since the first m_nus beach towel was put up for sale.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

haha the good old beach towel :D
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

what did the comments say on the the facebook page? Were people kissing his arse or against his comment?
Acid Brownies
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Acid Brownies »

I cannot find a good reason to make some troubles around a silly thing like: vynil or digital. every people who fights for it, is a f$cking asshole. Just enjoy music.
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

kristofason wrote:what did the comments say on the the facebook page? Were people kissing his arse or against his comment?

Most were kissing his a$$, though there were a few people defending vinyl.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

ChrisCV wrote:being able to beatmatch doesn't make you creative.t
<sarcasm>Ovbiously you don't understand the creative potential of mixing on vinyl. When you drop a track and its too slow you speed it up, and when its too fast you slow it down. Come one man, can't you see the interesting possibilities this provides?</sarcasm>
ChrisCV wrote:can't believe the kind of furore this has caused... there's far more important and interesting things to worry/protest/fight against
Indeed! I would be more inclined to protest invasions of our privacy by corporations and government personally, or lobbyist influence on government's decisions or yada yada (which covers pretty much everything else). Who cares about someone's choice of DJ medium.

Let me be honest... if I am listening to a DJ in a live performance I am probably staring at some chicks ass thinking... look at that! Daaaaaanm! I don't really care what he is playing on. Vinyl? So what? Chances are that I couldn't tell the difference given the mediocre sound system anyways. The point is that there are so many better things to do in life (like look at chicks asses) then mull over the effects of digital vs vinyl which are fed into the same mediocre sound system.

The problem is that too many people care about the DJs and what the DJs are doing. Its not really that important. They play (mostly) other people's music for money. End of story. Sure they help create an environment, sure they drive the party but what does that really add up to in the end? Lets be honest, most DJs are douchbags who deserve little credit in life for anything they have accomplished. Name me a single DJ who has solved a difficult world problem? Or a stumping mathematical conundrum, Or a medical mystery, or a mystery of the physical universe? The answer is probably none... because if a DJ had done that the fact they were a DJ would have been something they would have not admitted.

These people play music just to make your average person dance... end of story. Accept it for what it is. All else is kind of irrelevant.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:
ChrisCV wrote:being able to beatmatch doesn't make you creative.t
<sarcasm>Ovbiously you don't understand the creative potential of mixing on vinyl. When you drop a track and its too slow you speed it up, and when its too fast you slow it down. Come one man, can't you see the interesting possibilities this provides?</sarcasm>
ChrisCV wrote:can't believe the kind of furore this has caused... there's far more important and interesting things to worry/protest/fight against
Indeed! I would be more inclined to protest invasions of our privacy by corporations and government personally, or lobbyist influence on government's decisions or yada yada (which covers pretty much everything else). Who cares about someone's choice of DJ medium.

Let me be honest... if I am listening to a DJ in a live performance I am probably staring at some chicks azz thinking... look at that! Daaaaaanm! I don't really care what he is playing on. Vinyl? So what? Chances are that I couldn't tell the difference given the mediocre sound system anyways. The point is that there are so many better things to do in life (like look at chicks asses) then mull over the effects of digital vs vinyl which are fed into the same mediocre sound system.

The problem is that too many people care about the DJs and what the DJs are doing. Its not really that important. They play (mostly) other people's music for money. End of story. Sure they help create an environment, sure they drive the party but what does that really add up to in the end? Lets be honest, most DJs are douchbags who deserve little credit in life for anything they have accomplished. Name me a single DJ who has solved a difficult world problem? Or a stumping mathematical conundrum, Or a medical mystery, or a mystery of the physical universe? The answer is probably none... because if a DJ had done that the fact they were a DJ would have been something they would have not admitted.

These people play music just to make your average person dance... end of story. Accept it for what it is. All else is kind of irrelevant.
Let me be honest... if I were a digital DJ in a live performance, I would probably be staring at some chicks azz thinking... look at that! Daaaaaanm! I wouldn't really care what I was doing. :lol:
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

#OCCUPY ITCHY RAWTIN!