cliched minimal sound

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: cliched minimal sound

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:^^ yes thats what I mean.

That’s essentially what I was asking; just that screenshot wasn’t clear at all as it cut off when I uploaded it.

So sometimes I just loop 7 bars which creates something other then the normal 4 bar way of working. And if I do it a lot in a track with lots of different parts looping on different bars it sounds quite good.
theres a difference between working in polymeters, and working in one timesiganture say like 9/8.

working in 9/8 for the whole track will produce a different effect because you arent referencing it with 4/4. working in polymeters gives you a juxtaposition, usually in techno referenced against mostly 4/4.
in say 9/8, everything is in 9/8, bass, synth lines, percussion etc. with maybe only the kick as a constant.
i do a mixture of all these things, some tracks are mostly 4/4 with just adornments in polyrhythms, others are polyrhythmic with no dominant time signature, others written in entirely one time signature, i dont differentiate tbh, its all just music to me, its whatever sounds good.

9/8 is so close to 4/4 that it's hard to tell, you know theres something different about it, but it doesnt sound that unusual.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Talking about time signatures - I played Space Invaders - pretty sure it was the track on the EP (incredible EP) I mixed it in but it sounded really ruff on in the mix - It was in time (well i think it was) but it was not blending in at all well.

I am pretty sure that it was 4\4 but about 2mins in changes from the intro - Can anyone of you put me straight. Was it harmonics - I think the think that weirds the track out is the snare beats which change.

Anyone help?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Hard to really understand what you mean co's the way you worded the sentence doesn't really make sense but harmonics aren't something that affect timing, are you referring to just a key clash?

These bits: "I am pretty sure that it was 4\4 but about 2mins in changes from the intro" What the time sig changes?

And: "I think the think that weirds the track out is the snare beats which change". What do you mean here?
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Sorry terrible post posted in a rush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFfeSSUSkW4

here check around 1.14 - snare sounds weird it just didnt mix in - perhaps a key clash- The track was in time though.

Fucking awesome track.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

jackbrazzo wrote:Sorry terrible post posted in a rush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFfeSSUSkW4

here check around 1.14 - snare sounds weird it just didnt mix in - perhaps a key clash- The track was in time though.

fcking awesome track.
dont know what you mean bro, it sounds totally intentional to me, just a clean crisp snare sitting loud in the track.
not sure how it relates to what we've been talking about.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

did you get a clap clap clap clap when you mixed it in?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Ah, heard it. The thing here is that ( via that tube track ) the music kinda throws you ( I happen to like that ) So you are hearing the music and thinking the snare/clap is on the downbeat instead of the 2 & 4 as per-usual of what you're used to. Didn't listen too long but my guess from the intro is that the song doesn't start on a downbeat.

Without wanting to cause confusion, and to hit the point of the question, in order to mix that into a working 4/4 kinda flow, you could take the audio file and trim off the intro and then find the first clap and move back a crotchet/quarter note to the kick before the clap. Trim there with sampler accuracy and save the new file.

All should be good then to work into your set.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

AK wrote:Ah, heard it. The thing here is that ( via that tube track ) the music kinda throws you ( I happen to like that ) So you are hearing the music and thinking the snare/clap is on the downbeat instead of the 2 & 4 as per-usual of what you're used to. Didn't listen too long but my guess from the intro is that the song doesn't start on a downbeat.

Without wanting to cause confusion, and to hit the point of the question, in order to mix that into a working 4/4 kinda flow, you could take the audio file and trim off the intro and then find the first clap and move back a crotchet/quarter note to the kick before the clap. Trim there with sampler accuracy and save the new file.

All should be good then to work into your set.
the kick comes in normal. just put the needle or cue point to the first kick. no problem.
techno made me do it