Ride Cymbals

- ask away
redkev
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Ride Cymbals

Post by redkev »

Hi all - anyone got any tips for making ride cymbals sit nicely in the mix - like in this track at 2.16 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slzhGRm9a6U

It sounds so smooth and airy and just sits on top of everything - have tried extreme eq, compression, HP filtering, reverb, envelopes, tuning etc but cant quite get them to sit properly. I'm sure its prob just a combination of processing - any insights would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Ride Cymbals

Post by hydrogen »

in your ableton manual read: 21.7.2 Compression Tips
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

One thing you didn't mention is sample start time ( if you are using samples ) You can get over the initial bell like attack and have a softer tail end which, when filtered or sequenced decently etc, might be similar to the type of sound you're after.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

you really shouldnt have to do anything at all to make a ride sit in the mix, the frequencies are usually higher than anything else so they should just hover above it.

the classic techno ride is the 909, i've used it on lots of tracks over the years and all you need to do is tune it to the frequency you like and just leave well alone.

make sure you dont compress the mix much, if at all, afterwards !

if youre using samples of the 909 make sure you dont pitch it up or down in the sampler, use samples which were sampled at the tuning you want to use.
redkev
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by redkev »

Thanks guys - I have been tuning samples so perhaps that is part of the problem. I haven't adjusted the sample start time but have tried increasing the attack time to avoid the initial 'bell' sound. I'll take onboard your suggestions and see what I can come up with, cheers.