How long have you been producing until first release?

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How long have you been producing until first release?

Post by oblioblioblio »

i always find it really wierd naming what I do. i usually say i'm a music weirdo, or just generally weird.

producer is really clinical and cold. musician is a bit nicer and more passionate.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:
steevio wrote:
Hades wrote:I never quite understood that pressure for "releasing" anything.
In fact, I hate the word "producer".
To me it puts way too much stress on "production", like in some capitalistic economical sense.
Whatever happened to being a good old "musician" ?

+1
What exactly is a good old musician?

People think releases = gigs, so that's why there is so much pressure to release.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with wanting to release music.
there's definitely nothing wrong with wanting to release music, but like Hades says there is too much pressure on young 'producers' to release stuff, and because it is so easy to get stuff out there these days it often leads to people putting stuff out too soon, which is i think relevant to this topic.

a 'good old musician' is someone who wants to make music and happens to be good at it. until very recently that meant almost everybody in the village/tribe etc.. in our town its the dozens of folk musicians who hang out in the pub every night, making and enjoying music, or the blues guys in the pub next door, or the local brass band guys, or the local string quartet or the guys who run the monthly jazz night in the cafe, or all the local 'producers' who dont release anything but all play at my house parties and are mostly as talented as anyone who is on the beatport treadmill etc etc....
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

oblioblioblio wrote:i always find it really wierd naming what I do. i usually say i'm a music weirdo, or just generally weird.

producer is really clinical and cold. musician is a bit nicer and more passionate.

what naming tracks or the genre?

I find it hard to name tracks. i just name them by numbers so i know how many i made. :D
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

trying to explain what i do. i just kinda make light of it saying that i spend a lot of time in isolation and talking with machines, and like to live inside music.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:
I find it hard to name tracks. i just name them by numbers so i know how many i made. :D
this is no word of a lie, this is what my last track was called ;

11-10-03-01-hWo-F#-9/8-5-127-pt1ed2N

which is the nerdy scientific shorthand version of

the date i recorded it in reverse order so that they list chronologically - track one - half/whole diminished scale-key of F#-time signature 9/8 - 909clockshuffle no5- 127bpm - part one, edit two, Normalised.

i record 3 to 4 hours of live music every day, and its the only way i can keep track of what i'm doing and be able to find things which will mix well together when i DJ.

when it gets released it will probably be called 'Sponge' or something equally sh!t.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

lol!
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

haha.. My last one was... dahasjkdndeepkick1105

A random bash of the keys, with some sort of instructions of what it might have and then track number.

It’s impossible to name them all when you're making music each day.

Going back to this pressure thing. Is there really pressure on producers to release or are they just now more driven then ever to release music because they think the rewards are superstardom?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

@BLM. i think it's chicken versus egg to be honest. it's easy to sound like a cnt, but there are a lot of people floating around making music for the sake of wearing a badge. i dunno. i'm not my favourite human being in the world so i don't want to make any claims of purity or integrity. but certainly everything i make is from the heart.

everything that i released was made just for the sake of making it and then when the chance to release came up i thought why not. it's good to have some focus though... like... external deadlines such as playing a gig or making a release for a specific project.