How long have you been producing until first release?

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How long have you been producing until first release?

Post by oblioblioblio »

sorry, my last post is exactly the wrong type of comment to make on a thread like this. music isn't a closed shop... all you need is motivation and passion and you're golden. it's one of the most rewarding things in the world to do, and you shouldn't let bitter people bring you down. Let the music speak for itself and enjoy it as much as you can in every way that you can, that's where the treasure is.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

::BLM:: wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:i always find it really wierd naming what I do. i usually say i'm a music weirdo, or just generally weird.

producer is really clinical and cold. musician is a bit nicer and more passionate.

what naming tracks or the genre?

I find it hard to name tracks. i just name them by numbers so i know how many i made. :D
I already have that with naming sounds. I find naming tracks just a little bit easier, but still...
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

Going back to this pressure thing. Is there really pressure on producers to release or are they just now more driven then ever to release music because they think the rewards are superstardom?
I think that's the biggest problem : everyone seems to think there's some kind of superstardom to be achieved in electronical music.
Not just the young guys starting with this, but also basically everyone in general.

If people see my studio, they go like
"but what do you do with that"
me (with smile on my face, so slightly ironically) : "well, they're instruments, so I make music or sometimes just mess around with sounds"
"but what do you want do do with that"
me : "having fun"
"but ...."

what they really mean is that they all assume you want to make music to put something out, get gigs worldwide and try to be some superstar DJ or whatever.
it's depressing at times.
and I think this is lots less the case with people that play some kind of other instrument.
I've played piano since I was 7. I still play it. No one ever asked me when they walked in my house and saw the piano "what do you do with it" or "what do you want to achieve with it" (and I know piano's are probably the most "furniture" instrument one can find, many people have one in the house and no one actually plays it, but still, I think it would be the same with guitar or flute or whatever)
everyone apparantly knows you're not a professional pianist and just someone that loves playing because he simply loves music.
this isn't the case with electronical music.

honestly, I find the people that don't ask about my music or don't feel the need to talk about it to me a lot more interesting than the ones that want to.
I mean, for instance, you have your neighbours over, and they ask you "what kind of music do you make"
"I'd love to be making darker forms of techno, but sometimes I don't know where the track takes me"
"yeah, that last Moby album, did you hear...."
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Or you put on some record and they ask what it is, and then they go "oh, I never heard of that name, but I think I heard the music somewhere before"
well, no offence, but there's like only 300 copies worldwide, plus it's not like this guy can be found on itunes or wherever it is you go for finding music, so I doubt you heard it somewhere before.
What do you expect ? I spend maybe 8 hours a week minimum (as I presume most here) looking for new music.
You guys put on the radio, the fucking radio ! And just some main general music channel, not some nice niche channel where you could actually find something good.
but of course, I can only think all of that, I can't actually say it, or I'll be the arrogant bastard (guilty as charged) ! :lol:

I once read a quote on Peter Van Hoesen's myspace-page that said "every sound is a note"
I can't remember who it was from, but I love that quote.
It's the love for music, but also the love for sound, no matter where from, that makes me want to do what I do in my studio, no matter if I ever release anything or not.
it's as simple as that.
but maybe that's just not ambitious enough for people to understand ? :lol:
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

a lot of the tracks i've released were unfinished. it's hard to know when a track is just right. i take much longer to decide if something is worth releasing these days. if it's still sounding good after 6 months and i don't think i could make it better, it might get released.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Hades wrote:
Going back to this pressure thing. Is there really pressure on producers to release or are they just now more driven then ever to release music because they think the rewards are superstardom?
I think that's the biggest problem : everyone seems to think there's some kind of superstardom to be achieved in electronical music.
Not just the young guys starting with this, but also basically everyone in general.
Yep this is actually the problem. That and there are far too many people doing it now.

I still know a ton of producers that do very well on say Beatport, but get very confused when they come to mine and sit in front of a few synths. Some don't even understand the concept and that their sample cd's would have been made from a synth. Kind of strange really and a bit disheartening knowing someone can do extremely well, but not really have a clue what’s going on.

My Facebook page is full of producers. I think all my friends on my list are producers. Look at me 'no 99 on beatport deep house chart'. It's getting crazy now. I'm getting quite fed up with it all to be honest.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

My Facebook page is full of producers. I think all my friends on my list are producers. Look at me 'no 99 on beatport deep house chart'. It's getting crazy now. I'm getting quite fed up with it all to be honest.
i just dont even take any notice of it all.

i dont listen to what's coming out, i havent a clue whats going on in the scene.

i keep my ear to the ground about who is actually any good and check them out. most of the info comes from friends or other top musicians i know.
Last edited by steevio on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

i keep my ear to the ground about who is actually any good and check them out. most of the info comes from friends or other top musicians i know.
Yeah this is how it works with me, but then it’s a bias opinion. My friends are more likely to show me music that is part of their circle or that are somehow linked to them and so on, so there maybe producers you are missing. I like to try and track it all down, but this means that I have to see/go through a lot of sh!t before I get to the good stuff.

Theres a stupid amount of hype involved with this music n'all. Some stuff can be just ok, but gets so much hype and then it spirals out of control. I can think of a few examples like that at the moment in what people call 'the underground scene'.

It would be a lot more exciting if people were just themselves and made music for themself rather then thinking about getting signed and getting hype.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Yeah this is how it works with me, but then it’s a bias opinion. My friends are more likely to show me music that is part of their circle or that are somehow linked to them and so on, so there maybe producers you are missing. I like to try and track it all down, but this means that I have to see/go through a lot of sh!t before I get to the good stuff.

Theres a stupid amount of hype involved with this music n'all. Some stuff can be just ok, but gets so much hype and then it spirals out of control. I can think of a few examples like that at the moment in what people call 'the underground scene'.

It would be a lot more exciting if people were just themselves and made music for themself rather then thinking about getting signed and getting hype.
as long as you've got a set of mates within a good cross section of styles, theres no problem.
i'd die a long slow painful death by boredom if all my mates were only into minimal or deep house.
ive always only made music for myself but with an eye on what is acceptable to contemporary ears, and its easy to do this, just go out clubbing ! then go home and make sh!t, you dont need to know whose making it.. it either makes yo ass move or it doesnt. it either trips you out or it doesnt.

edit; positivity is the key !

we have to be positive and make change happen, its time for mankind right now. put it in your music, beginner or more experienced, whatever style, none of us know anything really.