Opinion on my mix and production technique ?

- music
p_ACHE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Opinion on my mix and production technique ?

Post by p_ACHE »

Hello,

Could you give some advice with the mix on this track ?

I did my best not being lazy (for once !) and I tried to achieve a nice sound using only simple elements and techniques (level, panning, very few compression, few eq mostly filtering).

At this point, I'm aware it does not sound pro, but cannot point out the exact problem. It could be the track by itself actually.
Apart from the mixing, what do you think of the track ?

Note : I'm mixing on headphones (I know I know ...) and using my JBL Control One to check times to times.

EDIT : now edited with advices from michaellpenman and kdgh, thank you guys !
EDIT : the original one is there http://soundcloud.com/pache/autumn-road
Last edited by p_ACHE on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: Opinion on my mix and production technique ?

Post by Themis »

hm cant give you any tips, cause im not producing.

but it sounds good, i like it, has a nice build up. also seems good mixed.
p_ACHE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by p_ACHE »

Oh thanks a lot for taking you time and your feedback !
p_ACHE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by p_ACHE »

the drums lack any really punch or snap. Try some new york compression here

>>> yes you are right. Actually I put a compressor with very low attack cause the kick was to snappy in my opinion. I will try to hear it again in the full mix.

overall everything seems a little under processed, it really lacks the warmth needed.
>>> this is exactly where I don't know how to move forward. Since I don't know, I prefer not processing it too much, cause I can do more bad than good I think ... And I don't have proper monitors as well.

but as for the melodies and beat etc the idea is there so im sure if you can get a good mix it will be dope
>>> thank you a lot for listening ! I'm very glad you liked it. My objective is to be able to release one day a bunch of tracks that make sense together. Not for any pride or even money, just to finish what I started when I began to learn how music works last year ;)

I'm working in this one right now : http://soundcloud.com/pache/winter-extract
It is not mixed and not really arranged. Just a jam to pin down some ideas ;)

Edit : I listened to your tracks, and you definitely know how to get it warm. It is very good, can see myself dancing on it sunday aftermoon after a night listening to dark techno. And there is a lot of breath or air in it. Very good as I said ;)
Last edited by p_ACHE on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

try some tape saturation and add some small verbs (plate/room) to the percussive elements and a nice light hall verb on the pads. Don't overuse it.
Just add the verbs to experience the space, not to hear the space itself.
p_ACHE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by p_ACHE »

kdgh wrote:try some tape saturation and add some small verbs (plate/room) to the percussive elements and a nice light hall verb on the pads. Don't overuse it.
Just add the verbs to experience the space, not to hear the space itself.
Woh thanks very much for the tip ! It helped me a lot !
I remixed it and here is the result : http://soundcloud.com/pache/autumn-road (replaced the old one, the old one is now http://soundcloud.com/pache/autumn_old)

I think it sounds way better now. I would be incredibly thankful if you could quickly check it ;) Cause when editing previous stuff, it is so easy to lose track :)
I'm not sure if it is warm now :) But it sounds definitely cleaner.

EDIT : what I did (could be helpful for some beginners like me) :
- drove more percs into the ambiance verb (plate)
- add more hall reverb (send + decay was way too short)
- removed the silly EQ from the bass, added some compression, low freq boost and equed the other track to make room for it
- added tape plugin on almost every channel
- used a more smacky comp setting on the drum channel (attack was too fast). Not 100% wet though (nyc style;p)
- could not do much more with the drums, cause everything is recorded from my drum machine by a (crap) soundcard with only 2 inputs.
- cleaned some sh!t with filters :=