Anyone have a MFB 522 Drumcomputer?

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Anyone have a MFB 522 Drumcomputer?

Post by tone-def »

lem wrote:Cheers Ben, they seem really good value...was wondering if the sound was that 'analogue' or a bit more 'nearly analogue'
i thought it was analogue?
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Yeah it is AJ, but there seems to be a mixed idea of analogue these days. It could have some kind of DCO or something....
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

i ordered one of these units and i hope it arrives sometime next week, I'll keep this topic in mind and write a few lines about it then
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Please do mate! I would just be interested to hear a repetative kick drum from it. My Jomox seems to add quite a lot of movement to its kick.
If this has, I will almost definitely buy one.
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

I downloaded a very complete set of samples from each of the instruments from it, but i cant find the forum where i got them, i do still have them in a ZIP file if you want....it is 30.4MB.

i must say i liked the sound a lot.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

lem wrote:Yeah it is AJ, but there seems to be a mixed idea of analogue these days. It could have some kind of DCO or something....
DCO's are still analogue, the digital bit is only to control the stability of the oscillator. Dave Smith would be able to market mopho and P08 as synths with 100% analogue signal path.

anyway as far as i know MFB stopped doing DCO stuff a while ago.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

tone-def wrote:
lem wrote:Yeah it is AJ, but there seems to be a mixed idea of analogue these days. It could have some kind of DCO or something....
DCO's are still analogue, the digital bit is only to control the stability of the oscillator...
Then it must be the instability that I really like! :lol:
To me DCO's don't sound like VCO's, they sound like DCO's. Maybe its a psychological thing? But I always feel like a DCO is a bit more sterile.

I can't remember where I found it, but a synth designer had documented the different types of oscillator. I'm pretty sure there was a lot of types of VCO and DCO. I don't mean in design, but in terms of what the digital is controlling and what the analogue is controlling.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:
DCO's are still analogue, the digital bit is only to control the stability of the oscillator. Dave Smith would be able to market mopho and P08 as synths with 100% analogue signal path.

anyway as far as i know MFB stopped doing DCO stuff a while ago.
100% analogue signal path isnt everything though, digital control elements such as envelopes, LFOs etc. can have a large bearing on the quality of a synth, and DCOs arent all created equal either.

my own experience of hybrid analogue/digital synths has generally been dissappointing, nowadays it has to be 100% analogue for me, and thats not in some purist, evangelical way, i've just found that the quality is generally better, its almost inevetiably the digital elements which go wrong, or stop the synth from breathing