Good Dubby Reverbs????

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Good Dubby Reverbs????

Post by tone-def »

speaking of effects chains, stereo widening plugins can be really good on reverb.
Gill
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gill »

AK wrote:
tone-def wrote:i was expecting to hear a spring reverb. that's what i associate with being a dub reverb.
Spring reverbs are awesome for a particular feel. I use the Softube one, really suits the sound I like to get.

To the OP, you say you have tried the Audio Damage plug ( Dub Delay? ) They do some really outstanding efx, are you getting the most out of them or just hoping for some instand gratification? Only asking because a few plug-in chains could easily get you a variety of different delays and reverb types, you can create a great dub style delay with any freebie plugs if you think about the chain of efx.

Like you could have a bog standard delay, a preamp/overdrive plug, a Resonant filter and a Midi LFO to slightly warble pitch, not necassarily in that order but all could be got for free and would do a great job with some reverb on another send.

If you look at chains of efx rather than single things to stick on a send, you will take things a lot further. :)
Yessir, I love Dubstation!! One of my favs. And also, I am not looking for a easy fix as I, like many of you, like spend a lot of time on my effects chains. But here I am, using mostly the same reverb on every track, and while it has plenty of parameters to work on, I couldn't help but wonder, "what are other mac/ableton users playing with?" "What does someone like Markus Suckut use for reverb?" Its not my mission to emulate him or anyone else, but I find myself wondering what else is out there. When I was producing with Logic all the time, I LOVED Space Designer, so I'm also wondering if there is a nice IR Reverb for AU/VST and Mac thats less than $100.

One thing, AK, you said that really interested me: what is this MIDI LFO you're speaking of? Is there a device that can turn any parameter into an LFO for Ableton, because if there is, I've wanted it for a long time. For instance, every time I'm fussing with parameters in the Grain Delay Plug, I think to myself, "Man, I would love to have an LFO on this or that parameter, like frequency, or wet/dry etc." So what do you mean by "a Midi LFO"?

Lastly, this softtube looks promising: time to demo!

So, thanks! :? (*) :D :o

Lastly, here's another Markus Suckut track because I'm reeeeeally into his stuff right now:
[youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3SsjGK0uX4

p.p.s check out any vid by that user thenov29films; they always make interested stuff!
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I have been using the Ableton stock reverb, which I used to think was sh!t. Having been used to the luxury of Space Designer in Logic.
But now I have kinda learnt the sound of the Ableton one I am finding it pretty good. I do as AK mentions of adding some distortion etc...
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Gil, just google midi lfo to found this http://www.macrostructure.net/midilfo.htm ;)
cheers
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Toloache wrote:Gil, just google midi lfo to found this http://www.macrostructure.net/midilfo.htm ;)
cheers
A couple new midi lfo's released this year...

http://www.xferrecords.com/products/lfo-tool

Cable guys looked like the best to me...
http://www.cableguys.de/midi-shaper.html

Both of these seemed complicated because you have to know the CC's of the devices you are connecting with. Because of that limitation... I really prefer max4live's LFOs that comes with the latest install. After updating to the latest versions of m4live and ableton . You find them in the max audio effects folder in the live library. They are the easiest to map to any parameter. + There are also cool envelope followers too! you could map the filter of a synth to the envelop of a high hat. or whatever fanciness like this.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

Phase Ghost wrote:I mainly use space designer, platinumverb & AnVerb in Logic. kdgh is right on about the sound. I don't think it's any reverb in particular, more on how it's setup.
Yes the same here!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Gill wrote:
One thing, AK, you said that really interested me: what is this MIDI LFO you're speaking of? Is there a device that can turn any parameter into an LFO for Ableton, because if there is, I've wanted it for a long time. For instance, every time I'm fussing with parameters in the Grain Delay Plug, I think to myself, "Man, I would love to have an LFO on this or that parameter, like frequency, or wet/dry etc." So what do you mean by "a Midi LFO"?
Probably would end up going too far off-topic for this thread to be honest, ( it's a thread unto itself that one ) Basically, midi plugins such as these will directly modulate paramters of an instrument/efffect via CC numbers, ( if you can find some of em ) But, really, if it has something that can be automated by hand, a good midi LFO can modulate it for you ( so you wouldn't have to spend ages drawing automation curves etc ) Cableguys do good stuff and there's literally tons out there, can't think what I have off my head but most are free. I also use midi yoke to create virtual midi ports as you can use these plugs to modulate hardware and get up to all sorts of fun.
Gill
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gill »

damn, sorry I haven't responded...Some great verbs in there, thanks for the advice!

I will admit, I was speaking of the ability to LFO out any ITB parameter....that would be the shiz. These tools seem to be for hardware, or am I missing something?