Bass help

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Bass help

Post by eggnchips »

I've realised that the track is fine after rendering. The bass only sounds grainy when played from Soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/eggnchips/drool-dub-final-1

Strange as I have never had problems with other tracks on Soundcloud.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

The bass is very sparse in this. One thing I do and I think it can be a good *trick* when you use sub bass frequencies, is to actually play a melodic bass in to whatever is necessary for the groove but in a higher octave or to be HP filtered. Then, pick key points/notes where it would be effective to lay a sub bass note for the weight.

Mess about with midi, sometimes a bass can be too many notes but for the groove to work, it might be necessary to have those note - that's where higher 8ve's work well. Like you could play the bass in, HP filter it, get the groove and then accent certain steps in that groove with the sub bass.

When done well, it gives the impression of a constant bassline and the points where you add deep sub create the pivotal points will almost be subliminal. Dan Berkson and James What do this kind of thing very well I think.

You're just re-enforcing a melodic aspect - but I look at it as bass as it's drum & groove orientainted. Work up ( or down ) the spectrum t solidify your musical idea.
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

AK, that is something i know allready but have never really tried.
Thanks for the reminder -ex
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

AK wrote:The bass is very sparse in this. One thing I do and I think it can be a good *trick* when you use sub bass frequencies, is to actually play a melodic bass in to whatever is necessary for the groove but in a higher octave or to be HP filtered. Then, pick key points/notes where it would be effective to lay a sub bass note for the weight.

Mess about with midi, sometimes a bass can be too many notes but for the groove to work, it might be necessary to have those note - that's where higher 8ve's work well. Like you could play the bass in, HP filter it, get the groove and then accent certain steps in that groove with the sub bass.

When done well, it gives the impression of a constant bassline and the points where you add deep sub create the pivotal points will almost be subliminal. Dan Berkson and James What do this kind of thing very well I think.

You're just re-enforcing a melodic aspect - but I look at it as bass as it's drum & groove orientainted. Work up ( or down ) the spectrum t solidify your musical idea.
Nice tips.
Any examples out there?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

nice tune bro but you need more bass. seriously
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

steevio wrote:nice tune bro but you need more bass. seriously
Yes, it's annoying. I've tried and tried. I'm using Operator and trying to get the best out of it though it seems I can only ever come up with cheese. It sounds too cheesy with less low pass hence me going for the sub.
Back to the drawing board indeed.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

eggnchips wrote:
steevio wrote:nice tune bro but you need more bass. seriously
Yes, it's annoying. I've tried and tried. I'm using Operator and trying to get the best out of it though it seems I can only ever come up with cheese. It sounds too cheesy with less low pass hence me going for the sub.
Back to the drawing board indeed.
to my ears it sounded like your bass was just too quiet, or too low a note.
what frequency(s) is your bass ?
what key is the tune in ?

there should be no reason why a sub wouldnt work, i never have the problems alot of you guys seem to have with bass, to me its the easiest part of making electronic music, i'm not saying that to be a smart arse, i just wonder if some of you are doing something really fundamentally wrong, like using the wrong frequencies, not using envelopes and filters correctly etc...or more likely you have bad acoustics/monitors.

it sounds from the rest of your music that your production skills are good, so it doesnt make sense to me that you would have problems with your bass. lots of people will give you all sorts of advice about convoluted and complicated ways to make bass, when in reality it should be unbelievably simple.
i'm only saying this because many of the classic tunes of all time were made with very simple synthesizers with basic low pass filters on single pulse or sawtooth waves.

maybe it would be a good idea to reveal the frequencies and exact techniques youre using, it would be easier to help you.
Last edited by steevio on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

eggnchips wrote:
AK wrote:The bass is very sparse in this. One thing I do and I think it can be a good *trick* when you use sub bass frequencies, is to actually play a melodic bass in to whatever is necessary for the groove but in a higher octave or to be HP filtered. Then, pick key points/notes where it would be effective to lay a sub bass note for the weight.

Nice tips.
Any examples out there?
Not quite yet in techno, unfortunately, I was out of music for a while due to a relationship breakdown, currently working on a number of tracks though and re-building a studio set-up. Been doing music for a long time though mate. :)

Quite a fan of dan and James though, Dan used to be a jazz/Soul keys player and the stuff they do its kinda deep house 'stroke' tech at times. http://www.berksonwhat.com/

You also gotta look at Mindtours - to do with steevio for some greate orignal music and deep and very interesting basslines, some of the best music I have heard for an eon. Stay away from club stuff and get original.

If you're parts are in midi, don't be afraid to chuck it all out and play the bass in again when you have the complete track. ( just keep saving project files )

Bass for me, depends on what is above it, like chords/melody etc. Don't get into the habit of writing a beat and bass and then trying to harmonize it, be brutal and adjust things until you get and idea going that you feel you can take somewhere.

Starting points are just that. - I know you were asking a diff question but always keep options open and don't get dogged down.