Is Techno Dying?

- open
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Is Techno Dying?

Post by jackbrazzo »

Was thinking this the other day - I know its been mentioned before but i really think the scene does need a kick up the arse musically.

Was thinking this the other day I've always wanted to get a 909, doesnt everyone :). Recently bought a TR707, really enjoying playing with it, and then I thought what is the point in keep using these sounds that have now being sampled to death.

I am now 33, and have recently put on some really good nights with my fellow promoter. Loads of young people still into House and Techno and the like, still well attended, but the scene has to move on---its got to. There are some great DJ's out there, there are some decent clubs as well, and some warehouse parties and some great promotors.

I am not trying to look behind rose coloured specs as most of the rave culture and early Ibiza passed me by - I also am going to Ibiza for the closing's like many others. Its going to be great but I would really like a shift on form what we've got...

Anyone else think the same, i wasnt going to post initially as everyone might have felt like I was a right old git!

8)
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Is Techno Dying?

Post by aut.t.n »

play new / different music.. make it yourself if you have the talents or dig it, there's a lot available currently imo.

some weeks ago i had the pleasure to give one of my very unfrequent gigs. i played some uncommon stuff, and surprise, quite a few people were very grateful for it.

i really think there are possibilities to move on, somehow i feel that currently the "new generation" (i am above 30 too) is more than open for influences, let them be new or from your deep knowledge of "back in the days".
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

techno has started to move on from the 4 to the floor generic sound. dubstep, garage, grime, techno, house, electro and other stuff has all started to come together to make some really interesting music. some people call it post dubstep while others call it future garage, but it's all got this techno aesthetic.

::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I think techno is really strong at the moment. Loads of people like ben klock, dettmann, denhert, delta funktionen etc.. have updated a sound and opened it up to a lot of people.

Then we have all the london/bristol bods crossing over and making stuff like tone just posted. I can't remember a time where it was as good as it is now. So much fresh music coming out at the moment its unreal.

Imo Ibiza is only good if you're into that trendy Jamie Jones sound or generic tech house. If you want to hear good techno, I would avoid Ibiza.

The scene has defo moved on. Look at SS now booking the likes of Joy Orbison and Aus Music getting all the dubstep guys onboard.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

techno has started to move on from the 4 to the floor generic sound. dubstep, garage, grime, techno, house, electro and other stuff has all started to come together to make some really interesting music. some people call it post dubstep while others call it future garage, but it's all got this techno aesthetic.
Certainly agree with this...Boddika, stuff on that Naked Lunch, Aus Music as BLM stated...Still cant figure out the genre 'Grime' but i have a few tracks that are pidgeon holed in that so i must like it :)

Havent heard much of it about in London, but perhaps I havent heard or seen? Fabric Room 2 has Shackleton\Boddika etc and thats with Matt Jonson and Terry Francis in the Main room n Sept :)

Perhaps the future is bright after all. :)

@BLM - think Jamie Jones is quality! Great producer - It all perhaps a little in vogue but I really like his stuff although I prefer his early stuff i suppose. Ibiza is great its more fun and less serious like Berlin. There is stll some good music out there, but I go more for a holiday than a music experience I suppose.
grace anxiety
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by grace anxiety »

tone-def wrote:techno has started to move on from the 4 to the floor generic sound. dubstep, garage, grime, techno, house, electro and other stuff has all started to come together to make some really interesting music. some people call it post dubstep while others call it future garage, but it's all got this techno aesthetic.

i heard sammy dee play this at CDV a few weeks ago.. sounded great.. ive been listening to of mixes from the hessle audio gang.. also Ben UFO.. very different and refreshing mixes
hairblz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hairblz »

Its interesting that online techno fans seem to have completely different tastes to real life techno fans.

I guess it makes sense - if you're the type to go on music forums, you're perhaps more likely to enjoy smoking joints while listening to dub techno than your average minimal/hawtin fan.

Anyone else notices this?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

jackbrazzo wrote:
Certainly agree with this...Boddika, stuff on that Naked Lunch, Aus Music as BLM stated...Still cant figure out the genre 'Grime' but i have a few tracks that are pidgeon holed in that so i must like it :)gs

Havent heard much of it about in London, but perhaps I havent heard or seen? Fabric Room 2 has Shackleton\Boddika etc and thats with Matt Jonson and Terry Francis in the Main room n Sept :)

Perhaps the future is bright after all. :)

@BLM - think Jamie Jones is quality! Great producer - It all perhaps a little in vogue but I really like his stuff although I prefer his early stuff i suppose. Ibiza is great its more fun and less serious like Berlin. There is stll some good music out there, but I go more for a holiday than a music experience I suppose.
I love all of Boddikas stuff. His label is one of my favourite labels. They have really pushed things forward.