Re: riots in London

Post by ::BLM:: »

^^ We do.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

roland wrote:you get looted by the rich too.. it only is legal.. why don't you call them wankers?
Wankers come in many forms, but that doesn't make it ok to burn down your own neighborhood.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

trak660 wrote:
roland wrote:you get looted by the rich too.. it only is legal.. why don't you call them wankers?
Wankers come in many forms, but that doesn't make it ok to burn down your own neighborhood.
Exactly, or kill or steal or, as you say, destroy a whole part of the city..
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I live in Canada and so I mostly am exposed to Canadian, US and British news plus the internet. I am somewhat distrustful of the media based on my personal observation so I would like to hear what you have to say. Every media outlet seems to have their own stance on the matter.

So, I have been watching this stuff on the news pretty closely and I would like to hear an unfiltered prospective of events from real Londoners over there. Who are the culprits in the recent riots? Many media distribution channel it says its mostly poor minorities behind the recent upheaval but when I read articles on bbc they are trying to frame it as more of a rich against the poor type of struggle which has little racial backstory and they pepper in quotes from local residents who say the looters are of all backgrounds.

I see a lot of conflicting messages on the UK riots and I would like to know what the real deal is.

IDK to be honest but I assume they were initially sparked by black minority communities and then all the minorities were joined by opportunistic criminals of all backgrounds, leading to a general mobbish campaign of looting and mayhem.

So what can you Londoners tell us? What is going on out there?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Racially, I would say England is for the most part well integrated. For me, the issue is to do with poverty and not race. Lots of urban communities are lawless and massively alienated. Society offers them no answers or makes any effort to meet them half way. University is not an option, we have very few possibliities for careers or apprenticeships. Life on council estates is often a vicious cycle that is hard to escape from, I've seen it where I live. The lowest sectors of communities are just left alone, they get police attention to make sure they do not commit crime, but there is no one investing in their well being. Bad values can spiral out of control quite quickly.

These riots are an absolute mess and there isn't an obvious sequence events behind them. For me, the main problem is a social one, well, that's the one that should be looked at, however, our government is totally preoccupied with giving out harsh prison sentences and making a big fuss to make people feel protected, but it's bullshit. You can't fight fire with fire. And people have already lost their trust in the government.

There is no real deal basically, it was a mess and it's still a mess.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Read this a little while ago...

"England riots: Police hit out at 'supercop' Bill Bratton plan"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14519187

EDIT: I am deleting most of my post... it was the byproduct of an drunken and dickish conversation I had last night. I feel uncomfortable with the amount of personal info I expressed there.

I maintain my overall stance though. The UK needs to seek a better solution! American style policing is not the answer. It does not lead to the best of all outcomes! Just take a glance at American jail stats and the recidivism rates! I get National Geographic Channel, I know whats up! -urk

Sometimes I wonder if it is the system that breeds the degenerates or if the system is a reaction to the degenerates. Its kind of a chicken and the egg question. Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore because it just is what it is.
Last edited by Shepherd_of_Anu on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i agree completely. the first priority of these low life politicians is to make the property owners feel safe, so they will wheel out totally immoral prison sentences and ridiculous schemes like the one above.

But it's completely stupid, it will only make the problem worse and simply buy time where everything seems ok on the surface, as tensions are conitnued to be strained, I guess the aim is to wait until the next one so it seems like the responsibility of a different set of politicians.

That cop sounds like a total idiot. The only issue I have come up against was receive an official warning for smoking weed at a music festival. I'm glad they caught me, I was a menace to society and needed to be taught a lesson.

But, like the rioters, it's easy to tar hem all with the same brush, and there will be several friendly nice cop for every low life bully scum cop. The police in this country are pretty special though, they have quite a few innocent deaths under their belt. Terrible.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

patrick bateman wrote:
trak660 wrote:
Exactly, or kill or steal or, as you say, destroy a whole part of the city..

Yeah this is how I feel. However I have some proper lefty friends who say I am not seeing the bigger picture.

It’s like they are using the bigger picture as an excuse.

It is true though the lower classes get shafted here in England. I have felt the cuts myself (in a big way) but I don’t feel like burning random people’s houses down. I guess that's all to do with morals though. Most of these kids (apparently) come from not so great backgrounds where perhaps it was harder to install these sorts of values when everything around them is against them.