Thought of the day: Keeping things interesting.

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Thought of the day: Keeping things interesting.

Post by steevio »

NoAffiliation wrote:
AK wrote:It's actually difficult to try and write rhythms against rhythms in some modern gear. Try writing a 12 step pattern against a 16 step pattern in some sequencers, they wont allow it. Time sigs mess with my head anyways. :lol:
not sure if this helps but people often get confused about polyrythm vs. polymeter. polymeter is using contrasting time sigs, like 3/4 on 4/4. polyrythm just means contrasting patterns, they don't need to be metrically related
dont worry mate, we've been down this road many times on the forum.

polyrhythms dont need to be metrically related but they can be, polymeter is a subset of polyrhythm, therefore there can be no versus.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Thought of the day: Keeping things interesting.

Post by AK »

NoAffiliation wrote:
AK wrote:It's actually difficult to try and write rhythms against rhythms in some modern gear. Try writing a 12 step pattern against a 16 step pattern in some sequencers, they wont allow it. Time sigs mess with my head anyways. :lol:
not sure if this helps but people often get confused about polyrythm vs. polymeter. polymeter is using contrasting time sigs, like 3/4 on 4/4. polyrythm just means contrasting patterns, they don't need to be metrically related
Like steevio said, we were having this discussion a while back, there's no confusion but if it's important to you to have the distinction between the two then so be it, for me it is not. In the above example though, 3/4 on 4/4 could be seen as polymetric but then triplets against 16th's can be seen as polyrhythmic.