Could anybody help me create this specific bass sound...

- ask away
Fermion
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Could anybody help me create this specific bass sound...

Post by Fermion »

I'm new here by the way, so hello all! :D

I've been trying to create a certain bass sound and cannot for the life of me get it right. I would really appreciate if someone could provide detailed instructions on just how to do it.

Here are some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V-gIsNgzyE @ 1:08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHlAQlpVblU @ 1:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnILn60GZVU @ 00:32

They are all very similar and it sounds so simple but I can never get it quite right. The only post I could find that poses a similar question is this one http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=272789. I tried out the tips on there but it still sounds too much like a hard house/trance bass.

I was trying to create it using Ableton's "Operator" by the way, although I do have other soft synths.

Thanks, Fermion.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Could anybody help me create this specific bass sound...

Post by Phase Ghost »

distorted & lowpassed sine or a saw.

Quick attack and decay. sustain and release to your liking on the first clip.

Second one seems to be the same with a little more attack and filter opened some more.

I'm on shitty computer speakers at work, but that seems to be it.

---------

Please don't emulate those tunes. Hope you were just looking to nail the sound of the bass.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

everyone's gotta start somewhere, but when you sign up for a forum and just post 1 thing asking how to recreate someone elses sound it doesn't make me want to help you, but luckily there are people more tolerant than I am who are willing to help you.

If you're genuinely interested in working hard at your own sound there are lots of helpful and talented people here, so feel free to hang around and learn/contribute.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Need to get a modular. It is the only way.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RichardLodge »

It's a sine wave and a saw wave together.

Easy to do in Operator (or any synth)

as Phase Ghost says, low pass, short decay, short sustain.

Don't think you'll need distortion.

The second one it the same just with a bit of percussion playing at the same time.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

the way i would do it is to play a note between in the second octave (c2-b2).
i would pick a synth with 2 oscillators and nice sounding 24lp filter.

first oscillator, saw wave tuned -12semi tones. gives a nice dirty sound.
filter cutoff adjusted somewhere between 150-200hz.
filter envelope decay about 70-100ms
filter envelope sustain about 20-30%
adjust the envelope mod on the filter till you find something you like.
fine tune the filter envelope sustain if needed.
second oscillator, sine wave. gives the low end to the bass sound. adjust it to fit to other low end instruments.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

oblioblioblio wrote:everyone's gotta start somewhere, but when you sign up for a forum and just post 1 thing asking how to recreate someone elses sound it doesn't make me want to help you, but luckily there are people more tolerant than I am who are willing to help you.

If you're genuinely interested in working hard at your own sound there are lots of helpful and talented people here, so feel free to hang around and learn/contribute.
obli, I think I speak for most of mnml.nl regulars when I say that we have love for ya and you have a lot of good posts but I think you need to chill out a bit. I never know what to make of you because one minute you are hippy dippy love-child then the next you are acidic and stand-offish towards people who are not as seasoned as you or in line with your thinking. Its a strange dichotomy to say the least.

Someone recently started a thread asking if the forum was dying and some people touched upon the tendancy for regulars to flame newcomers and newbies. The truth is, without newcomers and newbies nothing ever grows and all good ideas come to an end so let them newbies be.

You are a very active poster and with such status comes responsibility. You are a representative of the comunity. Belive it or not, newcomers see that mnml maxi and think that people know what the fck they are talking about. Imagine that :D Polking fun here, untangle your panties bitches, hehe.

All I am saying is that you should try and harken back to the days when you first heard the sound that captured your imagination... that sound that made you want to get up and move or sit back and listen. That intangible split second that makes eletronic music magical (because we know it does not last so long) and exciting. That magical essance is something to cherished and fostered so that it may manifest itelf again! God willing! (if you are religious... I am still figuring that one out)

I understand that people feel a need to establish a natural pecking order but we are supossed to be enlighteded human beings... not workers on the factory manufacturing line fighting for an imagined dominance.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i agree with what you say.

i get depressed about rude people who just come and ask without offering anything of themselves or contributing to the forum. Ultimately i get annoyed about sloppy music and people who just take ideas and give nothing. But everyone has to get into it somehow, and like you say, maybe a simple piece of advice is where someone starts out and feels like they can untangle the myths of making music. It was some simple encouragement that helped me realise that all you really need to make music is to want to do it. You don't need a magic trick and to be Beethoven/Mozart from birth.

This should be a place of community and learning, and people should feel free and enthused, and i probably shouldn't be laying my whole bitter producer trip for someone's first post.