small analog bassline synths...

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: small analog bassline synths...

Post by oblioblioblio »

analogue to me is really undefinable anyways.

totally OT, but to me analogue is an interconnected system with no overruling dominant process like the marching orders of a CPU. I guess analogue obviously is related to voltage, which can create a computer with much more computational power than a microprocesser.

in an analogue system, you can have mechanical objects like a spring reverb, or stuff based around chemistry and physics, like vacuum tubes. Or light reactions like vactrols. And you can certainly fit something digital into this system.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
i definitely reckon you can have digital stuff in a good analogue style instrument.
i agree, i just havent found one yet.

the design strategy seems to be;
'there's all these new synthesists who have been brought up on software instruments, but theyre all starting to see the limitations, and they want analogue warmth and fatness, lets give them an analogue signal path with the kind of digital controls theyre familiar with, and make it cheap.

i'm not argueing against that strategy, but its throwing up some poor instruments imo, thats why the vintage market will continue on its upward spiral out of most peoples reach, because most of the new stuff hasnt reached the benchmark for classic status yet.

more knobs, less menus, better components.

i'm willing to pay the extra, and i'm pretty sure i can't be the only one.
electronic musicians seem to be the poor relations in the world of music gear, pro and semi-pro musicians in other fields go out of their way to buy the best possible instruments available to them regardless of cost, because theyre the tools of their trade. they cherish their instruments.
i'm just ranting off topic now, sorry.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Wiard Noisering. It's an analogue module, no tiny question about it. But it's based completely around a digital core. It's not best of both, it's analogue in every way in how it functions and it's potential as an instrument.

I completely agree with you about the new wave of synths... they do not interest me in the slightest.

It doesn't even need to be about price and luxury, one of the best designers around, imo, John Blacet has based his designs completely around cost effectiveness. His kits are a joy to build and to me, I'd rather have his stuff than Cwejman even though it's 1/6th of the price. Even though it's relatively cheap, there are no corners that are cut or comprimises.

OK, not everyone is as cheap as Blacet, but there are lots of other people working both with cost effectiveness, and also with the demands of a passionate music person who wants something reliable that is designed to be played, and something that they can find something new in every day.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

about "benchmark for classic status", that's not related to the quality of the instruments imo. There are a few systems which are completely absolute undeniable classics which are in production currently. Serge, Wiard 300 series.

And stuff which is creeping up to legendary but not quite bridged the gap, but time will likely see it favourably, like Livewire, Metasonix, certain Doepfer products, Cwejman, Malekko Wiard, The Harvestman, STG soundlabs.

(yeah yeah I broke the not talking about modular rule... no way around it unforunately.)
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

steevio wrote:
i'm willing to pay the extra, and i'm pretty sure i can't be the only one.
electronic musicians seem to be the poor relations in the world of music gear, pro and semi-pro musicians in other fields go out of their way to buy the best possible instruments available to them regardless of cost, because theyre the tools of their trade. they cherish their instruments.
i'm just ranting off topic now, sorry.
I completely agree with this.
If you play the violin or cello, or piano. You're easily gonna pay thousands of euro's for a proper instrument, and quite a bit more for a great one.
But electronic musicians always seem to rant about the steep prices they have to pay for their gear.
What steep prices ? Most new synths are quite a steal compared to non-electronical instruments, and most of the vintage synths are (even with the current rise in price) still an ok deal for what you get.
I never got that part where people have no problem paying 600€ for an iPhone which probably gets replaced 2 maybe 3 years later, but want to rant about paying 600€ for a vintage synth which will probably outlast 4 iPhones easily if you take proper care for it.
Or people that pay thousands of euro's just to drive a BMW or whatever car is fashionable.
I love looking at a beautiful car, but unless I win the lotery, I'll never invest a lot of money in a car.
But I'll never think twice about paying a lot of money for a synth or monitors or an FX unit if I'm convinced that it's a great instrument/tool and absolutely worth it's value.
If electronical music is a true passion for you, then you shouldn't be complaining about that it costs so much.
If every decent synth would be 3000€, then sure, I would understand the ranting, but nowadays you can get so much decent gear for such a reasonable price... But yeah, if you want good gear, you will pay some money, but maybe you should look at cutting corners somewhere else in your budget in order to follow/fund your music passion.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

If you look at it as a collective I'm sure we have all spent a lot of money. A computer, speakers, vsti's, synths etc... All of mine comes to quite a lot of money, more money then I would ever spend on one item that's for sure. For me its better to get lots of smaller items then saving up for an entire year and getting that one big item. I was looking at the Tempest, but that looks like its going to be a stretch. I think some people just have no money, and when you start dipping into budgets you're dipping into food allowances and bill money.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio wrote:BLM & Hydrogen,

i'm not sure i'm hearing what you're talking about, but is it not something to do with how you're triggering the envelopes, and how you have your envelopes setup.

are you playing in legato ? single or multi trigger ?

i assume youre sending note information via midi from a software sequencer, have you checked your note lengths and your decay/sustain / release settings on both filter and volume envelopes.
do you have overlapping notes in your sequencer ?
if not, try overlapping and see if it makes any difference.
are you in mono or poly mode in that patch ? try both.

if your note length is shorter than your decay settings, you'll get issues like that.
i never had any problems getting a good bass with my Prophet

its unlikely its anything to do with the waveshape, it might just be more noticeable with a triangle

I just wanted to go back to this as I was playing around yesterday and nothing was working. It seems that it only happens with the Tri waveshape and nothing else. Is it normal for a triangle waveshape to make a noise? What I also noticed is that the noise seems to be infrequent. Like it sounds like its modulated, even though I have no modulation happening at all. When my little one goes for her nap later ill post another clip of what I mean.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote: Is it normal for a triangle waveshape to make a noise?
no mate