small analog bassline synths...

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: small analog bassline synths...

Post by hydrogen »

I'll Try and dig deeper tomorrow on it. But it just doesn't sound smooth. Its full of noise and extra unwanted harmonics. Completely different from the waves that come from my moog rogue and sounds more like the sounds coming from my Yamaha tx7 honestly.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hydrogen wrote:I'll Try and dig deeper tomorrow on it. But it just doesn't sound smooth. Its full of noise and extra unwanted harmonics. Completely different from the waves that come from my moog rogue and sounds more like the sounds coming from my Yamaha tx7 honestly.
thats weird i never had that problem with mine.

there's alot more hidden parameters on the Prophet than the Rogue. when i get weird sh!t like that happen i always suspect there's something hidden in a menu causing it if its not immedeately obvious.

have you tried a few factory patches, but exchange the triangle for whatever wave the patch has ?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

It seems to be just on certain patches. I have this one patch that I made that sometimes has it and sometimes doesnt. I guess it might be the note lengths as the patch remains the same, just not the notes I play.

I have done a done a ton of menu diving, but still I cant get rid of it.

I'm going to have a proper go tomorrow and see what I come up with.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:It seems to be just on certain patches. I have this one patch that I made that sometimes has it and sometimes doesnt. I guess it might be the note lengths as the patch remains the same, just not the notes I play.

I have done a done a ton of menu diving, but still I cant get rid of it.

I'm going to have a proper go tomorrow and see what I come up with.
if its only on certain patches its unlikely to be an inherent fault. much more likely its the way the patch is set-up.

i never ever use factory patches, i wipe them as soon as i get any synth, and always build my patches from scratch, that way you know exactly whats going on.

the Prophet was way too menu intensive for me, it defeats the object of an anlogue synth. even my Moog has too much digital sh!t going on, and it causes glitches of various kinds, i mostly use it in 'real parameter' mode which disables the digital sh!t.
get a real analogue synth if you want smooth operation...ive gone right off the hybrids.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

might be of interest to anyone thinking of going the A111-5 route;

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... solo.shtml

you know things are getting serious in the modular world when kenton start making midi /CV modules

bit on the expensive side though
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i sometimes thought that i don't like anything digital, but I have quite a few digital modules, sequencers for example often use digital components. The Wiard Noisering is at it's core a simple digital memory bank of 8 states of 1 or 0. But it has a lot of analogue supporting circuitry like proper analogue white noise feeding what is in the register, and I would consider it completely to be an analogue device in it's behaviour.

However, digital encoders and preset storage and digital menu systems shouldn't get in the way of synthesis experience. A synth designer being forced to look into which parameters are creatively necessary to control, and giving them a proper potentiometer with proper panel space. well, it sure does me a big favour.

I don't believe presets are necessary in a well designed synth. You would be surpised what the brain can remember. I saw a modular musician recall very complex patches of many many cables completely from memory almost instantly.

My opinion of course.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:i sometimes thought that i don't like anything digital,
i'm certainly not anti-digital, i've just not had particularly good experiences with analogue synths that have alot of digital stuff going on behiind the scenes.
i've had more fun and gotten better results with real analogue synths.
i question whether its worth buying a hybrid, especially when it only has a few controls, and alot of its functionality is hidden in the digital realm in menus.
for me thats not really an analogue synth.
just an opinion.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yeah for me it's about the job that something is doing within the machine, and how it affects the overall instrument.

i haven't liked a layered menu yet, and definitely the few times I played on an analogue synth which has digital stuff going on which sometimes overruled the pots and stuff jumped around. meh, not my cup of tea.

i definitely reckon you can have digital stuff in a good analogue style instrument.