- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: small analog bassline synths...

Post by hydrogen »

deccard wrote:
hydrogen wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:AK - not sure what the mopho is like, but my prophet has has this weird clicking type noise whenever I go low down in the bass department. It's a noise that goes in betweeen the notes and is really annoying. If I was going to go for bass I would stay away from DSI just based on my experiences with the prophet.
This. Exacty why I cannot use my tetra for bass. It just gets weird and unpredictable in the low frequencies. Sometimes I can make a good bass sound, most othertimes it just has too many bad artifacts (clicks, grainy, weird oscilations) that makes it unusable for bass.

sounds not normal...have you done some troubleshooting? new os etc?
Yup new OS... If you have one, I'd be happy to exchange some of my patches and you can see if you get same results. I think it's just how I'm trying to use it, to get that fluffy bass that I know the sh101 does. I just find that the envelopes are noisy and have a really bad sounding edge to them... Do you run ableton and have the tetra editor? Would be perfect to exchange the patch and editor to see if you get the same results. Maybe I'm just using it wrong...
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

hydrogen wrote:
deccard wrote:
hydrogen wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:AK - not sure what the mopho is like, but my prophet has has this weird clicking type noise whenever I go low down in the bass department. It's a noise that goes in betweeen the notes and is really annoying. If I was going to go for bass I would stay away from DSI just based on my experiences with the prophet.
This. Exacty why I cannot use my tetra for bass. It just gets weird and unpredictable in the low frequencies. Sometimes I can make a good bass sound, most othertimes it just has too many bad artifacts (clicks, grainy, weird oscilations) that makes it unusable for bass.

sounds not normal...have you done some troubleshooting? new os etc?
Yup new OS... If you have one, I'd be happy to exchange some of my patches and you can see if you get same results. I think it's just how I'm trying to use it, to get that fluffy bass that I know the sh101 does. I just find that the envelopes are noisy and have a really bad sounding edge to them... Do you run ableton and have the tetra editor? Would be perfect to exchange the patch and editor to see if you get the same results. Maybe I'm just using it wrong...
only got the mopho. are the patches interchangeable? difference should be only missing polyphony. maybe as sysex.
techno made me do it
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

don't know if they are interchangable... i'll post some examples running in mono mode and see if this is what we would both expect. do you have the editor for the mopho?
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

only the free standard editor.
techno made me do it
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yes we can swap patches using sysex. I have the same problem as you hydrogen. Some strange artefacts on some of my bass patches. I'm all updated, but its still happening. I mostly find it happens when I use the triangle wave, which is annoying as that the one I use the most.

This is the triangle wave on the prophet. A single Tri wave with no modulation or noise. There seems to the bass tone, but then this weird noise sound that I cant get rid of.

How do I take my patches off the prophet? I know how to load into it, but not take off.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

::BLM:: wrote: This is the triangle wave on the prophet. A single Tri wave with no modulation or noise. There seems to the bass tone, but then this weird noise sound that I cant get rid of.
YES! that is the exact thing i'm talking about... from your example! annoying as sh!t... and if you have the envelopes moving too fast it almost gets worse! i'll try and post in the next week. i'm super stressed at work at the moment to even calm down to make music... i've just been working on meditating and dreaming about music right now.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

BLM & Hydrogen,

i'm not sure i'm hearing what you're talking about, but is it not something to do with how you're triggering the envelopes, and how you have your envelopes setup.

are you playing in legato ? single or multi trigger ?

i assume youre sending note information via midi from a software sequencer, have you checked your note lengths and your decay/sustain / release settings on both filter and volume envelopes.
do you have overlapping notes in your sequencer ?
if not, try overlapping and see if it makes any difference.
are you in mono or poly mode in that patch ? try both.

if your note length is shorter than your decay settings, you'll get issues like that.
i never had any problems getting a good bass with my Prophet

its unlikely its anything to do with the waveshape, it might just be more noticeable with a triangle
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

^^ good advice.

it's pretty unlikely that DSI would properly drop the ball with clicks.

the other thing that's possible, is that you have a suboctave note playing low enough to cause clicks. A raw square wave is made up of lots of clicks, but usually they're cycling so fast that you hear them as a tone. If you have a wave low enough it will sound like actual clicks.

listening to your clip it's probably not that. is it definitely not just the attack of the envelope being a bit too fast?