The Secret behind the Dusty Vinyl Noises?

- ask away
orbnhoj
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by orbnhoj »

you can get those sounds easy in ableton - just get a dirty scratchy sample of a record playing or make your own - then use lives warp capabilities to select certain sounds in that clip - then assign those warped loops to its own slot in impulze - then make a phat midi drum loop using your new sratchy dirty sounds.....) could also use simpler to get the same affect.....
HouseHead
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by HouseHead »

Ok... I guess I'm being lazy looking for an easy way to go about this but this way sounds simple enough.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

sometimes those noises arent intentionally created using software or sampling, i use an analogue filter ( Sherman Filterbank 2 ) which throws out very nice crackle noises percussively.
jhon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jhon »

HouseHead wrote:Ok... I guess I'm being lazy looking for an easy way to go about this but this way sounds simple enough.
its easy to be lazy... ive been a lazy producer for a few years.. its not until recently ive been messing around with the sounds, mixing it down cutting pasting warping, .. give it a chance its pretty fun... but when you gonna arrange thoos small klicking sound its not that fun anymore.. :)
jhon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jhon »

a tip is to buy

spectrasonics atmosphere...

a realy nice collection of atmospheric noises and pads and such....
Andrew Duke
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: The Secret behind the Dusty Vinyl Noises?

Post by Andrew Duke »

HouseHead wrote:Hi, I just got into the world of Minimal House/Techno from discovering the sounds of Trentemoller. I was wondering if anyone knew how he and other producers make that dusty vinyl noise sounds and use them as percussion and FX?
I sample the between-the-songs crackle and hiss and run-off grooves crackle and hiss on my favorite old records for the samples I use. Andrew
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: The Secret behind the Dusty Vinyl Noises?

Post by clubfoot »

Andrew Duke wrote:I sample the between-the-songs crackle and hiss and run-off grooves crackle and hiss on my favorite old records for the samples I use. Andrew
Me too. Jamaican reggae 7" are the best for this. It's like your needle is doing a cross-country run.
kenada
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kenada »

The best thing to do is to get a number of sounds, and then arrange them in a rhythmic manner. voila rhythmic dusty crackle sounds.

Another tip to create the sounds yourself, in to open a blank wave file in a wave editor like soundforge, and get the pen tool, and draw some randomness, then copy and paste to get the desired length of sound, add FX, and hey presto, 1 off original dusty vinyl noise.
S Y N T H E T I K
COME DOWN
minimal tech - Dec '05