The Secret behind the Dusty Vinyl Noises?

- ask away
audiostatic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by audiostatic »

Vinyl Crackle, Vinyl Noise, Records-Fx

21mb in size have fun

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ka7h2c
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Pretty much what the rest are saying, personally the best one's I've found come from me sticking a guitar with broken pickups into an MS10, get some really interesting crackle and click effects out of that, and of course there are interesting side effects to the sound doing this.

For more percussive stuff tho - just record into your soundcard and remove/replace the lead as you are recording - instant clicks and crackles. I also enjoy using mobile phones to create that mad blip you get just before the phone rings.

I like the idea of producing sounds like this by doing things you aren't strictly supposed to rather than using a machine, I don't like them being to programmed either - it's an organic sound to me really, the sound of machines failing and stutering, man's folly at trying to subdue nature being thrown back in his face (or summat like that) - to me the idea of a dedicated plugin to produce crackles and clicks is absurd to me, tho I'm going to give that plugin a try - looks like it could be fun to try it out :)

But yeah - my advice is let it do it's own thing - glitch is all about that , freeform, not too clinical, tho that's my own view - I don't disagree that there are many ways to skin a monkey.