IS this forum dying?

- open
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: IS this forum dying?

Post by oblioblioblio »

this forum is still frequently interesting.. got dealt a rough hand by the slow death of minimal, but there are plenty of hardened regulars floating about to make it worthwhile. I would be sad if this forum went away.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

^^ this kind of sh!t needs to get sorted out.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Themis wrote:there are highs and lows, but if you want the forum more active why dont you contribute a little more? 1 post a week is not really much :)
lol.. also as with the season's change for a global community : between the world the season's create a perfect balance. for me anyways, I seem to be on here a lot less in the summer.

as with the peaks and valley's of the music market / spotty months / and the majority of random viewers I think it's always been like this.

to me the slower months are right now, but tend to pick up 3rd quarter...

happy viewing & contributing.
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

Strange with the decreasing traffic; I mean, after all the Italians got online it should be the opposite! ;) Anyhow, away with the jokes; speaking for myself, this forum was for me a large part in discovering new artists and new releases, discussing releases, etc. However, in my humble opinion, the majority of all releases I've checked out over the last few years (and that's not a small number) have been/are shite. It has certainly affected the amount of time I spend on trying to discover new music, be it artists or releases. And in addition, people are growing up, getting new responsibilities (work, family, studies, etc), and time becomes a limited, but still sought after resource. So I think it boils down to priorities, combined with what Patrick mentioned, social medias taking over.

What can you do about it? Not much. As others have mentioned, when there's something to talk about, people will talk. Otherwise they'll just prioritize differently and spend their time on something else that gives them more in return.

My 50cent vs. Eminem (remix).
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

vermi wrote:Strange with the decreasing traffic; I mean, after all the Italians got online it should be the opposite! ;) Anyhow, away with the jokes; speaking for myself, this forum was for me a large part in discovering new artists and new releases, discussing releases, etc. However, in my humble opinion, the majority of all releases I've checked out over the last few years (and that's not a small number) have been/are shite. It has certainly affected the amount of time I spend on trying to discover new music, be it artists or releases. And in addition, people are growing up, getting new responsibilities (work, family, studies, etc), and time becomes a limited, but still sought after resource. So I think it boils down to priorities, combined with what Patrick mentioned, social medias taking over.

What can you do about it? Not much. As others have mentioned, when there's something to talk about, people will talk. Otherwise they'll just prioritize differently and spend their time on something else that gives them more in return.

My 50cent vs. Eminem (remix).
here's a blog post I wrote about looking for music, and people finding techno boring etc.. http://wax-works.blogspot.com/2011/07/zzzz.html

shameless, I know - but maybe it will inspire some discussion?
vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

wax works wrote: here's a blog post I wrote about looking for music, and people finding techno boring etc.. http://wax-works.blogspot.com/2011/07/zzzz.html

shameless, I know - but maybe it will inspire some discussion?
You have some good points in your blog post, especially about looking for new music among vinyl releases. This is also my main source for new music, but the problem is that even among this category there are so huge amounts of music that I find boring, or way too similar-sounding to other releases (which then makes it "boring" again). Of course, this isn't only a problem with the music, I've definitely become more picky over the years and can be quite stubborn when it comes to convincing me towards buying a release. :)

On the other hand, I've mainly looked for vinyl releases on Juno, Decks, and maybe the bigger online stores; so this is maybe where I can learn from you - do the digging in the smaller shops, or at least at those who probably have a stricter quality control, and then see if the same record is available at the usual record store (e.g. ordering from Germany/Holland is much more expensive here in Norway than ordering from i.e. the UK due to shipping rates and such).

All in all, techno is definitely not boring, but it is boring that it takes so much time to find good techno, especially when it was so much less time-consuming before.
junger
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by junger »

vermi wrote:
wax works wrote:
All in all, techno is definitely not boring, but it is boring that it takes so much time to find good techno, especially when it was so much less time-consuming before.
to bad i missed those days..... gotta be tough diggin through all that crap :)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

junger wrote:
vermi wrote:
wax works wrote:
to bad i missed those days..... gotta be tough diggin through all that crap :)
I'm not sure I agree to this statement.
I truly remember back in the big vinyl days in the 90ties and early 00's, where I would listen to 75-120 records in the record store and go home with 10 records maximum.
Using 2-3-4 hours in the store. Of course it was different and it was cool to network that way, but it's just different today and can seem a bit boring sitting behind the computer listening to short files on the internet, no matter if you're buying vinyl/mp3.