Kickdrum EQ'ing

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Kickdrum EQ'ing

Post by steevio »

^^^
@ s.k. its cool we do things differently, i like that, i want to hear more people trying different ways to do things, i really get sick of hearing 'just sidechain compresss your bass' etc... its why i always pipe up and give a different point of view, if everyone just did everything the same way, how boring would that be ?
most of the advances in music have been accomplished by people taking risks, trying something different.
its healthy.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

Not to hijack this thread, but I'd be interested in hearing how people are synthesizing their kick drums (what synths they are using).
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Phurniture wrote:Not to hijack this thread, but I'd be interested in hearing how people are synthesizing their kick drums (what synths they are using).
I use the Vermona DRM1 mk III now, it has a dedicated analog kick synth in it. Many don't like it, but I love it.

I also sometimes use my Futureretro XS for kick (and other percussion) duties. It has this really bass-heavy kick which is a bit hard to use in a song context, but sounds awesome in isolation. One of these days I'm gonna teach myself how to mix that with other instruments, so I can actually use it.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

hardware - vermona DRM-1

software - reason kong and thor.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Barfunkel wrote:I use the Vermona DRM1 mk III now, it has a dedicated analog kick synth in it. Many don't like it, but I love it
i like it, but tbh since i sold mine i realized that the only thing i missing is the clap (lucky i sampled it before i sold it).
since rob papen punch came out its the only thing i use.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

steevio wrote:
s.k. wrote:
steevio wrote:EQ and compression is totally unnecessary to make any component of electronic music if you synthesize your sounds correctly, and that takes practice and experience.
i dont see how this is true too. do you set all eq's on your mixer linearly, never boosting or cutting even the slightest? i thought so. doesn't a mixer overdrive, and is this not compression? does the same job nontheless because in a DAW if you boost you would normally use compression afterwards to even the response. you get my thoughtflow.

who can say where synthesis ends? i say EQ and comression are part of synthesis. so yes - synthesize it right!

edit: just to add to that slightly - many analogue synthesizers have slight eq/compression of some sort on the output. so if it's in the box it's synthesis, but if you use outboard - you're not synthesizing anymore? i would expect a more open thinking from someone with a modular setup. btw steevio, i always liked your sound man :)
i dont even have the EQ's switched in on my mixer. so please dont patronise me with 'thought so' ;)

edit - i lied, i have one EQ switched in, this is for a HH88 808 hithat module, again this synthesis is out of my control, i have no control over how Analogue Solutions synthesized this sound, i'm not synthesizing it myself, and i dont like the sound of it.

no overdrive is not compression, its overdrive. you know what i mean by compression, dont try to twist it round to your argument.
again saying analogue synths have EQ on the output is irrelevant, as you have no control over this. we are talking about we can do with technique as synthesists here, this argument is weak.

and no outboard isnt synthesis, its outboard. you may have noticed that very few analogue synths ( if you know of any, please post ) have a controllable EQ on board. there has usually always been a seperation of the two processes, synthesis and recording process.

its exactly because i now use a totally modular set-up that i have come to the conclusion that EQ isnt necessary at all for me.
as far as i know there is no eurorack modules designed purely for EQ, i have 60+ modules, non of them are EQ modules, and i have never heard of any. if EQ was a major component of synthesis, dont you think there would loads available ?

its my opinion that anyone who thinks that EQ is totally essential to synthesis has not really explored synthesis deeply enough, but thats all it is, my opinion, just as yours is mate.

thank you for the kind words about my sound, you can be assured that no EQ was harmed during its construction :)
distortion = compression
http://www.muzique.com/compress.htm
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip- ... ssion.html
techno made me do it
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

deccard wrote:
steevio wrote:
s.k. wrote:
steevio wrote:EQ and compression is totally unnecessary to make any component of electronic music if you synthesize your sounds correctly, and that takes practice and experience.
i dont see how this is true too. do you set all eq's on your mixer linearly, never boosting or cutting even the slightest? i thought so. doesn't a mixer overdrive, and is this not compression? does the same job nontheless because in a DAW if you boost you would normally use compression afterwards to even the response. you get my thoughtflow.

who can say where synthesis ends? i say EQ and comression are part of synthesis. so yes - synthesize it right!

edit: just to add to that slightly - many analogue synthesizers have slight eq/compression of some sort on the output. so if it's in the box it's synthesis, but if you use outboard - you're not synthesizing anymore? i would expect a more open thinking from someone with a modular setup. btw steevio, i always liked your sound man :)
i dont even have the EQ's switched in on my mixer. so please dont patronise me with 'thought so' ;)

edit - i lied, i have one EQ switched in, this is for a HH88 808 hithat module, again this synthesis is out of my control, i have no control over how Analogue Solutions synthesized this sound, i'm not synthesizing it myself, and i dont like the sound of it.

no overdrive is not compression, its overdrive. you know what i mean by compression, dont try to twist it round to your argument.
again saying analogue synths have EQ on the output is irrelevant, as you have no control over this. we are talking about we can do with technique as synthesists here, this argument is weak.

and no outboard isnt synthesis, its outboard. you may have noticed that very few analogue synths ( if you know of any, please post ) have a controllable EQ on board. there has usually always been a seperation of the two processes, synthesis and recording process.

its exactly because i now use a totally modular set-up that i have come to the conclusion that EQ isnt necessary at all for me.
as far as i know there is no eurorack modules designed purely for EQ, i have 60+ modules, non of them are EQ modules, and i have never heard of any. if EQ was a major component of synthesis, dont you think there would loads available ?

its my opinion that anyone who thinks that EQ is totally essential to synthesis has not really explored synthesis deeply enough, but thats all it is, my opinion, just as yours is mate.

thank you for the kind words about my sound, you can be assured that no EQ was harmed during its construction :)
distortion = compression
http://www.muzique.com/compress.htm
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip- ... ssion.html

jeez why do you have to do it man ?

must of us on here know how compression works, are you trying to make me look stupid or something ?

do you think i dont know how compression works ?

but when 'normal' electronic music producers talk about compressors, we are talking about a very specific process that has dedicated hardware or software tools, and when we talk about overdriving a mixer or using a dedicated distortion unit we are talking about something else, thats why the different terms exist.

if you walked into a music store and asked for distorion, would do you think you would walk out with ?

you are just trying to be a smart arse.

edit - sorry if i overreacted, but things like this wind me up,
overdrive / compression / distortion, all different forms of the same thing, with different techniques and tools assoiciated with each.
Last edited by steevio on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i would say that overdriving is a form of compression, not a specific compressor like behaviour with attack/release, but it does reduce dyamanic range and squash transients. Although it is grey area, as overdriving is likely not the right tool to reach for if you want compression.

I think Deccard could have easily made his point a bit differently, and without wanting to be too personal, the way he posted those links came across a lot like a smart arse trying to have the final say at the expense of someone else.