Revolution 909?

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Revolution 909?

Post by tone-def »

s.k. wrote:
Sounds-Outside wrote:Keep in mind my Revolution-909 instrument is made from recordings of the actual 909 so all of those same characters are still in present in the sound that you are hearing played back.
wait are you saying you actually sampled the nine to make your instrument? isa that even legal?
yes it's legal. sample CD's have had real recording of 909's for years. is it illegal to sell piano samples?
Sounds-Outside
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sounds-Outside »

oblioblioblio wrote:Matt, please take my cynical tone with a bit of a pinch of salt...
Absolutely, no offense taken
oblioblioblio wrote: I am still sceptical about DI and transformer balancing. Impedence matching is simply resistors on outputs and inputs, and as far as I'm aware, is mainly brought up to sell units and confuse people, rather then the true simplicity of the matter. Transformer balancing I'm less sure about, but I've never used anything like that and I regularly hear sounds coming from my synths that sound better than anything I've heard in the universe (no joke! I love analogue and there are some of the best machines ever designed currently in production right now)
I think it's ok if we can agree to disagree. It's fine if you like the sound of the 909 without any processing or hardware in line at all, I think it's a good sound too but I prefer some slight coloration.
oblioblioblio wrote: You probably caught me on a bit of a bad day with my original criticisms.... there are a lot of DISGUSTING products being sold, that cater only to inexcusable laziness from "musicians". But from the way you talk about things it seems like you are motivated more deeply than just shifting units.
It's understandable, the marketing can come across on the side of sensationalism. I've taken you're criticisms, and I'm going to look at revising some wording when I update the site next.
oblioblioblio wrote: I always thought Mike @ AR was a genuine passionate professional, and even though I have moved away from almost all forms of software I have no reason to discredit his work. His efforts always seemed quite meticulous, even though there is a certain futility to modelling analogue circuits, which in some ways is a technique that is comparable to sampling.
Love the AR stuff, think it serves a very specific workflow need and sounds good!
oblioblioblio wrote: For me, as a musician, the most important test of an instrument, is the paths that a musician can travel along from using it. Can the machine do completely different things in the hands of different users? Is there scope for use *beyond* what the designer felt was possible? For this reason, I find analogue to be head and shoulders above other things such as the machine which you have designed. And with all respect to your intelligence, I find your argument about 'authenticity' to be a little lacking.
I have much more respect for you product that you have come here are respectfully defended your views, even though the Revolution909 is not something that I would ever find use for. I should apologise for leaping to some conclusions and using the anonymity of the internet to attack something further than was really sensible, I think my sensationalist views very probably as unhelpful as some of the descriptions in your marketing.
regards
Mark
I respect your views on music creation as well. I don't think a digital centric workflow appeals to everyone and the important thing is knowing what each person wants to achieve and how they want to achieve it. I'm just taking the sound of the 909, which we both love, and brining it as accurately as I believe possible to a digital workflow.

Cheers,
Matt
Sounds-Outside
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sounds-Outside »

ekwipt wrote:Think it's a good idea for a product, I have my own 909 but would still think about purchasing something like this when I don't want to turn on all the machines.
The library really does compliment the original. I like to use it when travelling and writing without the real machine, I can get the sound I want and work quickly with software. You could also then transfer the exact same knob settings to the real machine and rerecord it and program the patterns if you want.