Revolution 909?

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Revolution 909?

Post by oblioblioblio »

i wonder what the 909 sequencer is made of?

I have a couple of modular machines which have some unique timing circuits that I think are super funky in their own way.

One of them is based around this chip: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

which has a really mechanically lazer sharp funkiness... hard to explain, but it has this pummelling quality that is rhythmically unique.

THe other timing circuits that I think are interesting use vactrols, which are based around a light source and a resistor that changes its value depending on how much light it receives. That circuit has some supreme loose funkiness.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i think this is really funny..
check out it out, these guys are so enthusiastic, somehow cant imagine anyone being so enthusiastic in 25 years time about the revolution909 software, if you can find a pentium in your attic to play it on that is.

oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I know exactly where you're coming from. THeres no chance in hell anyone would get that excited about a Revolution909 aka "better than the real thing"... after 25 years.

for me another important thing is DISCOVERY. an instrument should contain at least one universe of sound. Preferably a different universe for every different user. THis universe should also have wormholes for ease of access and super awesome looking special effects.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

909 price is so high now its beyond a joke. How much were they when they first came out?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I don't think 909s ever went bargain basement cheap compared to the other x0xes.

I think that dreamy story gets played out quite a lot that all early techno musicians got those boxes for pennies. (although I'm not denying that some bargains were found).

Personally, I feel that I've got some KILLER deals on the machines which I've bought recently. Now I just need to pay back the money I owe and sh!t all overmyself everytime my synth is more than 10 meters away from me, or near munters who don't understand the result of the equation water+electricity = ???. (-)
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

How much were they though? They are about £1300 now which is too much for me to spend on a machine that I can get the samples for.

I'm looking forward to seeing a little more information on the Tempest.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I never bought one, but I'm pretty sure the average price never went that far below that, after you add inflation into the equation.

There are ways you can buy good unique forward thinking gear for cheap though, as frequently people don't understand it and look for a quick sell. I've bought 2 expensive devices in mint condition for 50/60% of thier price recently. But sometimes you need to bite the bullet and accept if you want a good machine there's not much you can do to fight the cost. Good music machines never really loose their value, so it's a solid investment.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

tr-808 was $1000 in 1980. can't find anything on the 909.