Revolution 909?

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Revolution 909?

Post by tone-def »

::BLM:: wrote:I had always assumed the 909 was dirt cheap when it first came out.

I really do want a drum machine, but I can't make my mind up. I use a variety of drum sounds, so its hard to choose which machine I would use the most.
the 909 was highly technological when it came out. first drum machine with MIDI, first hybrid of digital samples and analogue synthesis, you can sequence a synth from it...

it was also dirt cheap compared to things like the Linn Drum.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Casanova808 wrote:The 909 is a catch 22. It is a really great thing to have, but it costs a lot for what it does. I like mine, but I always think about selling it to buy something else that does more.

I really need to get a new set of pots from Technology Transplant because mine are scratchy. Part of me wants to get new replacements for all moving parts just to make it mechanically stable for the next 15 years. I just wish they were not so sketchy at the moment.
bro- big advice here;
dont buy anything from Technology Transplant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theyve just ripped me off for $90 for a load of SH101 parts i ordered ages ago, the parts never came, theyve refused to answer 5 emails ive sent them.
Intelligel who used to be on this forum, ordered thousands of dollars of parts for his modular business, and they werent answering his emails either, i'm not sure where he's at in trying to get his money back, but he reckoned that Paypal had frozen their account,

bad acid
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:I had always assumed the 909 was dirt cheap when it first came out.

I really do want a drum machine, but I can't make my mind up. I use a variety of drum sounds, so its hard to choose which machine I would use the most.
the 909 is a limited drum machine, you havent got alot of sounds to play with but like cassavova808 said its the funky sequencer that makes it the amazing machine it is.
its probably not the right machine for you if you need alot of drum sounds.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

bro- big advice here;
dont buy anything from Technology Transplant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theyve just ripped me off for $90 for a load of SH101 parts i ordered ages ago, the parts never came, theyve refused to answer 5 emails ive sent them.
Intelligel who used to be on this forum, ordered thousands of dollars of parts for his modular business, and they werent answering his emails either, i'm not sure where he's at in trying to get his money back, but he reckoned that Paypal had frozen their account,
That is what I was referring to when I said I wish they weren't so sketchy. I have heard that they are shipping orders to people, but there was a big problem with communication and fulfilling orders. If we are thinking of the same guy, I think he filed a dispute with paypal and he is going to get his money back.

I have heard that TT sold their stock to Touched By Sound in Germany. I guess TBS are more expensive, but I would rather pay more if it means that I will actually get my order. The money doesn't really matter, because for every buck I put into the 909 It will raise it's resale value by about $2.50. 909's have been going for 1,700-2,220usd on Ebay lately.

The one thing to remember about older gear is that it will retain and gain value far better than new equipment. About the dumbest thing you can do as a musician is to pay retail for equipment. If you buy the expensive stuff that people want, you will not lose money and you will not have a hard time selling it. The main thing is to be disciplined and not buy on emotion. If you know what you want and are willing to wait, you will find it eventually for a fair price. I had to wait 15 years, but I paid $850 for my 909 a few months ago.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Casanova808 wrote:
If we are thinking of the same guy, I think he filed a dispute with paypal and he is going to get his money back.
he said he was too late to file a dispute, there's a 45 day limit, same thing happened to me, i didnt even realise there was a 45 day limit.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

steevio wrote:haha i agree with mark.

quotes like this
' We love the 909 but we don’t love the instability or limitations of dealing with vintage hardware in a modern studio'

bullshit, there's nothing instable about the TR909,
i just keeps on rocking away. never misses a beat
non of the vintage hardware i have has any limitations that are going to make me want to put them on ebay and use software instead,

and how about 'better than the real thing' !!!

yes mark mate you lost it there - fair play
yeah.... when i read the lines about the 909 being unstable i thought ok i'm not gonna lose another second reading the crap they write, i still wait the day my 909 misses a beat or needs hours to sound right. all that made me even more happy to have a real 909.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

feeling serious 909 envy now!!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Lindsay
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lindsay »

Oh yeah, that's how it's got to be done, com'on!