your most typical mixing failure (monitor to club pa)

- ask away
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: your most typical mixing failure (monitor to club pa)

Post by Barfunkel »

tone-def wrote:my tracks always sound much better on a PA than they do on monitors.
What's your secret?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

too many variables here.

no two PAs sound the same, and theres a massive difference in quality and how they are set up in clubs.

if you're talking recorded tracks, really the mastering engineer should have got it right for you.

if you're talking live, you have to adjust your sound for the system you're using in the sound check.

so all in all there should never really be a problem with translation, unless you've got something very badly wrong.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

What about if you were djing though Steevio and playing stuff before master?

I suppose if you do your own masters then you would master it right before playing out? Most of us are not mastering engineers though.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:What about if you were djing though Steevio and playing stuff before master?

I suppose if you do your own masters then you would master it right before playing out? Most of us are not mastering engineers though.
fair point.

when i was DJing regularly i used my gigs to test out my tracks, but there's no point if the sound system youre using is shite.
in my experience club acoustics and systems are not the best way to judge your tracks, unless you can try a few different systems, then it becomes obvious when theres something wrong.
but really once you've realised if you've got a problem, say your bass is usually too loud, you just sort it. you shouldnt be always having translation problems, it shouldnt take more than a few gigs to adjust your studio technique and compensate for your monitors / studio acoustics.

to answer your other question, yes i would never play at track out at an important gig unmastered. yes i do my own mastering but only to a basic level, as my kit isnt good enough really, however the secret as has been said many times before is in your mixing. i dont really need mastering, or more specifically i dont want mastering. i concentrate on getting the mix bang on.