the great soundcloud debate...

- ask away
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

i really appreciate everyones honest feedback on this. makes me feel better about being an asshole (hah!), but at the same time makes me feel better about not being too open.

good to know i'm not the only miserable, jaded, opinionated dickhead out there...

or maybe i am? :-P
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

This is funny. I am most defo a jaded opinionated jerk about techno and house music.

But simultaneously I don't really give a rats ass about what anyone has to say about my tracks. I guess since I first heard house and techno in the 89-91 period I am still very much in the DIY mindset.

I tried the whole feedback thing, but just found that listening to anyone else's opinion about what is good just made me miserable. I have found trial and error and repetition of discipline to be much more helpful.

Some technical stuff, like "does the bass hit hard over on your end" aside... I don't really care what you think. No offense to anyone, but I make music I want to hear on the dancefloor... it was that way when I DJed a lot and its that way now when I am mostly producing.

I think techno and house will expand more when people get that old vibe of rebellious creativity back. I already hear it coming back and am very glad to say goodbye to the homogeneity of the last 10 years.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i get a nice feeling when someone says "i was feeling that"...

and I think people who don't get much exposure need to get a bit of reassurance and honest criticism, and for that, I think soundcloud has it's place.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

oblioblioblio wrote:i get a nice feeling when someone says "i was feeling that"...

and I think people who don't get much exposure need to get a bit of reassurance and honest criticism, and for that, I think soundcloud has it's place.
Yeah I might be heavy handed on my last post. I do like to share the vibe with people for sure... but I will not be so beholden to criticism as to change the direction of my music overall.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

wasn't disagreeing with you andi I don't think you were heavy handed. I agree and think you need to learn to be an island and just listen to your gut... but the way music is, I think it can be really helpful to try to share your thoughts honestly.

But yeah, if someone says "you should do it like this" I will never do it.
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

Why would you change a track you like just because somebody you don't even know said you should? When I finish a track I never touch it again except for when I play live and mash it up.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

I like a bit of feedback. Sometimes someone will suggest something that might improve the track that you might not have thought of, and it's at least worth trying it to see how it turns out. You never know, it might sound crap or it might take your track to the next level...

After a while your "artistic vision" will be well established and you'll know what works well but I think when you're a beginner/intermediate then other people's ideas are welcome, more experienced people know what works.

It's a bit like the attitude of people saying things like "don't get a guitar teacher because you'll compromise on developing your own style", it's a load of rubbish, these people are there to help you, it's still up to you to not be derivative and find your own voice...
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I have found trial and error and repetition of discipline to be much more helpful.
Bingo.

I think people think they can just wake up and start making music straight away. It takes years of sh!t before anything good comes from it.